Stubborn white spot surviving treatment

dmaccy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently have a really stubborn white spot outbreak in the tank. I've completed two full white spot treatments and cardinal tetras remain severly covered (see pic).
First treatment was using nt labs white spot and second was using interpet treatment.

Temp 24-25.
pH 6.5
Ammonia 0

Filtration is internal ciano bio xl (newer version) running with only sponges in and tetra ex 800 external with carbon bag removed from original treatment and turned off completely for second treatment, possible some spores may survive in filter?

My next thought is to up temp to 26 and re-treat with interpet? Any thoughts anyone?

Pic

Attachments

• 16381177065103697315240107390551.jpg
    16381177065103697315240107390551.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 46
Many of the so-called "treatment" additives are useless, and all will affect the fish especially characins (tetras, etc) so do not use them. Ironically, these are adding more stress which only intensifies the ich.

The only effective and safe way to deal with ich (white spot) is to raise the tank water temperature to 30C/86F for two weeks. Nothing else. Cardinals are well able to manage in warmer water.

Given the state of the ich as you described it, and the time involved, I would immediately do a major water change (70-80%) with a good vacuum of all open substrate areas, and increase the temperature of the replacement water by a few degrees (depends what it is now, you do not want a sudden shock) and turn up the heater to complete the increase over the next several hours. Keep the temp high for two weeks, then using the heater slowly lower it back down over a couple days. Water changes can be done during the two weeks with replacement water at the tank water temperature or a tad higher, not lower.

Last edited:
Agree with the above...only thing I would add is to increase water surface agitation...warmer water holds less O2

Add a bubbler, if necessary

Currently have a really stubborn white spot outbreak in the tank. I've completed two full white spot treatments and cardinal tetras remain severly covered (see pic).
First treatment was using nt labs white spot and second was using interpet treatment.

Temp 24-25.
pH 6.5
Ammonia 0

Filtration is internal ciano bio xl (newer version) running with only sponges in and tetra ex 800 external with carbon bag removed from original treatment and turned off completely for second treatment, possible some spores may survive in filter?

My next thought is to up temp to 26 and re-treat with interpet? Any thoughts anyone?
Try aquarium salt. You can do baths/dips or add directly to the aquarium. When nothing else worked this worked for me

The following link has information about treating white spot/ Post #1 and #16 are worth a read if your interested :)

If you have no inverts Coppersafe will illiminate ich in a couple of days.

I know people would rather further stress already stressed fish by raising water temperature or adding salt than utilizing a method used for hundreds of years in Germany and other places but whatever floats your boat.

Most reactions

Back