Striped Raphael Talking Catfish?

ah, cool looking fish.

Is it yours? or a random photo you took, or found?

Its the same family as the deep sea angler fish right? but is it a tropical or marine fish?

SO many questions, so little time... :lol:

Sorry for derailing the thread....

hmmm... I know that these guys can make a tasty snack on most tetras....

but what about on kuhli loaches? They're so thin... and semi-nocturnal. Would they not be a tasty snack for this cat?

but what about on kuhli loaches? They're so thin... and semi-nocturnal. Would they not be a tasty snack for this cat?

Possibly, depends on the size of the kuhli loaches.

I now keep mine with Upside down cats, and a BN plec, but I'm think of trading him in along with the USD cats for a rainbow snake head, :)

from what ive seen mine do they dont really hunt for live food. In fact im certain that mine was almost completely blind. Yes i know that doesnt mean they dont hunt but they cant really track stuff if its moving too much

from what ive seen mine do they dont really hunt for live food. In fact im certain that mine was almost completely blind. Yes i know that doesnt mean they dont hunt but they cant really track stuff if its moving too much
The fishes lateral line system compensates extremely well for the loss of sight; through it they can detect movements in the water. Take the Black Ghost Knife fish.

In the above thread in OTHER CATFISH i posted some info on the raphael catfish so take a look :good:

ollie

The fishes lateral line system compensates extremely well for the loss of sight; through it they can detect movements in the water. Take the Black Ghost Knife fish.
yep yep that is true. It may have just been mine but he definately wasnt so hot at hunting down little fish. he was in a tank with 2 danios for over a year and never caught either of them.

The Doradid family aren't out and out piscivores like the Pimeloid family. They cruise the bottom at night and will eat anything that is lurking around that might be food. Small fish such as neons that fall to the bottom and rest at night are at risk.

The Doradid family aren't out and out piscivores like the Pimeloid family. They cruise the bottom at night and will eat anything that is lurking around that might be food. Small fish such as neons that fall to the bottom and rest at night are at risk.
so probly a little bit of a scaveger right?

I'm not entirely sure of the feeding habits. There is almost certainly some scavenging, though I have never sat up late enough to really see my doradids come out and really scour the tank.

we got a striped raphael and he comes out every night even when the tank light is on. hes never went for any other fish as hes always searching the gravel for food. he loves bloodworm

Hey,

I was quite suprised to see this topic, I have ( or thought I had a talking cat) and although he isn't out all the time I see him once or twice a day and definately at feeding time. He is only very baby and either swims with thee Corys or tries to swim under the Gib.
Could I have a different cat then? He is definately nocturnal but will come out in the day.
There is loads of places for him to hide.
I have tried to put up some pictures of him but they are very poor (camera phone!) and its my first time putting pictures n here so forgive me if they are not there. could anyone identify him either way?
He has food in his mouth by the way not a deformed nose!

Attachments

• talkin_copy.jpg
    talkin_copy.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 92
that is a platydoras costatus, or more commanly known as a striped talking cats fish, amazing looking fish, I sold mine a few weeks back.
The become more nocturnal as they get older.

These fish have many common names such as the striped raphael, talking catfish, striped talking catfish, humbig catfish.

Hope this helps you.

Most reactions

Back