Strange

Just a thought? Are you using an elite stingray filter?

I am using spring water because it's much safer for them and I don't like the tap water that much and no I am using Aquaclear Filter

hagenaquaclear70.jpg

So you guys are saing that he actually sick :eek: OMG he never been sick..Poor boy.In Canada ( that where I live) I never found Maracyn ??? The only thing that I have tight now is Bettafix but I heard that is bad for bettas? Is there any signs of that strange desease exsept the breathing? and thanks everyone for your help..Hope he make it through

I am using spring water because it's much safer for them and I don't like the tap water that much and no I am using Aquaclear Filter

hagenaquaclear70.jpg

So you guys are saing that he actually sick :eek: OMG he never been sick..Poor boy.In Canada ( that where I live) I never found Maracyn ??? The only thing that I have tight now is Bettafix but I heard that is bad for bettas? Is there any signs of that strange desease exsept the breathing? and thanks everyone for your help..Hope he make it through

Yes, your betta is sick, unfortunately. In the early stages of Velvet Disease (which is the most common disease in bettas) you may not notice any exterior signs, apart from the heavy breathing and lethargy - this is because the parasites attack the gill chambers first. If left untreated you may notice other symptoms - like a few tiny whitish dots on its body or fins (not whitespot disease), a rusty coloured dust-like covering on parts of their body - or it could even be a whitish colour.

Regards - Athena

How is he doing now? is he any better?? Apparently one way to spot if its velvet is the gold dusting effect shows up if you shine a light on the betta!

I have always been under the impression you can use betta fix but in much smaller amounts than it says on the bottle! but please wait for confirmation from somebody else on that because I'm not 100% sure!!

got my fingers crossed 4 him!!

Well he is the same so far but I noticed his belly is big so I will try to feed him peas and see of it helps..And I placed him in the smalled tank so he will be more confortable to breath.So far his breathing went away so I am waiting for poop ( fingers crossed) and thanks everyone for your support

Placing him in a smaller tank will not make his breathing more comfortable. A small tank will get a build up of waste a lot quicker than a larger one even if filtered.

You should lower the water level in the main tank if he is having difficulty reaching the surface. Or you could place him in a large floating breeding net of the sort you put guppies in.

Sure I will do that and also I noticed that he is more comfortable in cold water than in warm normal water :( Should I turn off the heater?

In cold water they become lethargic (not a good thing), so I would def just keep him in warm water.

Placing him in a smaller tank will not make his breathing more comfortable. A small tank will get a build up of waste a lot quicker than a larger one even if filtered.

You should lower the water level in the main tank if he is having difficulty reaching the surface. Or you could place him in a large floating breeding net of the sort you put guppies in.

not to go off topic but if you are lowering the water level you are reducing the total volume of water...no different than re-homing into a smaller tank. either way toxins will build up faster. most important thing is to make it easier for him to get to the surface...more frequent w/c will take care of the faster toxin buildups whether you lower the level in the existing tank or to re-home inot smaller more shallow space...best bet is to get a breeder net as Bronze suggested...then no lowering of the total volume of water is needed (toxins will stay more dilute for longer.
good luck with your boy

Ok I will defenetly do that ..Also I noticed when he lay on the bottom his tail pointing upwards and his head down and it's look like a fish looking for something..COuld be a sign of something serious?

just a couple questions

1. on your sig, it shows your two boys, is it Bobble or Ruffles?

2. how old is he?

1.Bobble he is the one who is sick
2. No clue but I had him for 7 month now

and I belive he is in horizontal position head down and tail up :(

Well looking at that pic, he kind of looks like he has fin rot. Can I see a current pic of him

Most reactions

Back