Strange Larva?

agulliver

Reaction score
I spotted this creature in my hospital tank today. Not strictly an emergency as there are no fish in this tank but I can't make attachments in the general tropical forum.

Is this a larva of some sort, or just some crustacean? Anybody recognise it? And most important, is it any harm now or after it is fully developed?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 102_2308.JPG
    102_2308.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 53
Does it have wings. (Dragon Fly)

I would get it out of the tank. Might get more people answering your post over in tropical discussion. Just copy and paste the thread over there.

That is a damselfly nymph. They will catch and eat small fish.

Here's you answer

XXXXX (Link Removed)

EDIT: Sorry I recognize this from a previous post and thought this was it. I jumped the gun. I have seen these guy somewhere on the forum before though.

My first thought was "dragonfly" but it has no wings and does not really look like a dragonfly larva.

I'm not too concerned as this is the hospital tank and there are no fish in there at the moment...I'm just keeping the hospital tank going in case more of the mollies I previously had problems with get sick...more curious really.

It's giving me the shudders.
Thats why I don't have live plants lol. Hows it got into the tank.
Through gaps on the tank lid or plants.

Its ok.
Seen fish lice on fish and it looks nothing like that. Trying to find pics of fish lice.

Here is a video of the damage that they can do to small fry.

Wilder, you may not want to watch this. lol

Its ok.
Seen fish lice on fish and it looks nothing like that. Trying to find pics of fish lice.

Do an image search for Argulus.

Thanks for the video....I think!

Yep that's definately what I've got. I'll leave it for now as there are no fish in the hospital tank and even the smallest at the moment dwarfs the larva...but I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

Thanks everyone. If I get time I'll see if I can pop it under a microcsope and get better photos....the tanks are in the science department of the school I work in.

Glad you found out what is was.

Most reactions

Back