Stop Algae filter cartridges

Looks like yet another snake oil product. They do not tell you how it does what they claim, for one thing. This means it might not be good for fish or plants. They do say the first one is not for permanent use, which makes me ask, why?

Chemical filtration is not an advantage in planted fish tanks, without a real need. I woldn't waste your money and more importantly risk the fish.

They claim the product will reduce alga by removing phosphates and nitrates, which you'll do by changing the water on a regular basis anyway.

Looks like yet another snake oil product. They do not tell you how it does what they claim, for one thing. This means it might not be good for fish or plants. They do say the first one is not for permanent use, which makes me ask, why?

Chemical filtration is not an advantage in planted fish tanks, without a real need. I woldn't waste your money and more importantly risk the fish.

They claim the product will reduce alga by removing phosphates and nitrates, which you'll do by changing the water on a regular basis anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, yes i was a little cautious over it as wondered what chemicals it would put into the tank, i take it the standard one will be ok or are you better off with the sponge filter only ?

Thanks for the feedback, yes i was a little cautious over it as wondered what chemicals it would put into the tank, i take it the standard one will be ok or are you better off with the sponge filter only ?
Some people swear by sponge filters, but I prefer one with an impeller to draw water in. When you say "the standard one" what are you referring to? You can buy the Ciano filter, but you don't really need to buy the algae cartridge.

Some people swear by sponge filters, but I prefer one with an impeller to draw water in. When you say "the standard one" what are you referring to? You can buy the Ciano filter, but you don't really need to buy the algae cartridge.

I have the Ciano CF80 , when i say the standard one i mean the blue water clear cartridge that goes above the sponge filter, it appears to be a chemical filter as well.

I'm not familiar with that one, looked on the internet but couldn't find much info.
I think it comes with a sponge, biological and chemical. If it runs without the chemical cartridge you can do without the chemical. If it doesn't, you can use the chemical cartridge, it's most likely just carbon anyway. After a few weeks the chemical / carbon cartridge will lose its effectiveness, and you don't need to replace it, just leave it there. I prefer filters without cartridges as they're cheaper to run.

I'm not familiar with that one, looked on the internet but couldn't find much info.
I think it comes with a sponge, biological and chemical. If it runs without the chemical cartridge you can do without the chemical. If it doesn't, you can use the chemical cartridge, it's most likely just carbon anyway. After a few weeks the chemical / carbon cartridge will lose its effectiveness, and you don't need to replace it, just leave it there. I prefer filters without cartridges as they're cheaper to run.
Personally I would remove it and replace with a piece of sponge cut to size and shape. Carbon, and ion exchange, products work by adsorption. Once they are exhausted they can dump what they have filtered out back into the water.

Personally I would remove it and replace with a piece of sponge cut to size and shape. Carbon, and ion exchange, products work by adsorption. Once they are exhausted they can dump what they have filtered out back into the water.
That's a good shout, I can easy add in a bit of sponge, I put a new cartridge in yesterday so ill leave it until the next water change and stick in some sponge.

Thanks

BB

Carbon, and ion exchange, products work by adsorption. Once they are exhausted they can dump what they have filtered out back into the water.
Yes, that's what I've read although I don't know how much truth there is in that.

Most reactions

Back