Stocking

sharkbng

Reaction score
I have a 20-25gallon tall tank that has about 5-6 plants 1 fake plant and some caves so plenty of hiding places.

Right now the current stocking is

5 neon tetras
5 corries
4 rasbora
3 sunburst mollies

I was wondering if i have room for a rubberlip pleco and maybe some more schooling fish?

Yes you do. If you like the neons, you could get a few more.

You have room for a rubberlip as they only get to about 3".

You look to be already about stocked by my rough count but it depends if they are the normal full size (2 inch or so) cories or if they are the tiny pygmy types, which would gain you back some inches. I'm not the best at this so you'll want to hear from others too!

~~waterdrop~~

Sounds good thanks for the fast reply. I might get the pleco tomorrow and maybe some more neons or rasboras?

You look to be already about stocked by my rough count but it depends if they are the normal full size (2 inch or so) cories or if they are the tiny pygmy types, which would gain you back some inches. I'm not the best at this so you'll want to hear from others too!

~~waterdrop~~

Corrys are bottom dwellers so they shouldn't effect your stocking much.

~~waterdrop~~

Corrys are bottom dwellers so they shouldn't effect your stocking much.
coulda sworn I saw gills on one of those the other day, lol

Like WD said, cories are fish and have a biological load on the tank just like any other fish. Top swimmers and bottom swimmers won't make he tank look as full as fish that swim around in mid-water but they put just as much load on the biological filter as any other fish their size. I have seen this kind of poor advice before in other forums but fish are fish.

I agree with oldman and waterdrop here, the rough stocking guides given to beginners are not just to ensure that the tank isnt overstocked size wise but also to make sure that the tank is kept healthy and well filtered to make sure the fish that are in the tank can live to their full potential.

Bigger / More fish = more waste, a simple equation

You MAY get away with a rubbernose if you have good filtration but I certainly wouldnt add anymore neons or rasboras as well.

What sort of filtration is on the tank?

Andy

i think its big enouge for a rubberlip or bn you just need to make sure you fillter will cope because they make alot of waste

Most reactions

Back