Stocking question

Country joe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've only got room for a small tank, as well as my 125, I was given a 40 litre, but I needed a proper stand, so I've decided to go for a Juwel Primo 70, length 61 c hight 43.5c and 31c wide,
I'm thinking of 8 or 10 Chili Rasboras, 6 or 8 black neon tetras, and 4 or 4 pygmy corydoras.
What do you think would be okay?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If your running low on space for tanks, get double or triple tier stands and have 2 or 3 tanks (one above the other).

That's the North American 20 gallon. As long as the water from the tap where you are cooperates, your choices sound good. But you would have to exchange the word "and" for "or". At most, I'd put one shoaler and the Corys. Not both.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If your running low on space for tanks, get double or triple tier stands and have 2 or 3 tanks (one above the other).
Hi I did put the sizes up double and triple tiers is not an option.

We don’t know if your water GH is suitable for those fish but as general advice, 10+ per group. I agree that it should be either rasbora (smaller, so better as you can have more) or tetra with dwarf Cory.

I can't remember what my gh is I have it in my note book, but I'm on holiday but my ph has went from 8 to 7.5, I have two kinds of tetras in my 125 tank and they appear to be fine.
The fish I'm looking at are all small, although I was looking at replacing the black tetras with 5 x Ray tetras, but not made my mind up.the more suggestions the better.

It's fine for a lot of soft water fish, though not those which must have very soft water. It's too low for fish which need hard water.

It's right at the top end of the range for chili rasboras, so maybe not those (it's better to keep fish in water with a GH in the middle of their range).
Black neon tetra are fine at your GH.
Pygmy cories prefer GH below 8 dH. And the three dwarf cories need large groups of at least 10.

I have green neon and glowlight tetras in my 125 tank, any other tetras you recommend for this new tank as not suitable for the chilies.

If I had 6 Black Neon Tetras, and 6 green Neon Tetras, would they shoal up together.

No. Not only are they different species, they are in different genus. They were given similar common names just because they both have a stripe from nose to tail. The only reason they would shoal together is if something terrified them, and another species is better than nothing for shoaling protection.

Black neons = Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi
Green neons = Paracheirodon simulans

No. Not only are they different species, they are in different genus. They were given similar common names just because they both have a stripe from nose to tail. The only reason they would shoal together is if something terrified them, and another species is better than nothing for shoaling protection.

Black neons = Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi
Green neons = Paracheirodon simulans

Thanks, on the subject of GH. I did a test before going on holiday, but can't remember if it has moved, will have a look when I return, and if its moved will stick it on here, to see if chili rasboras are a possibility, but if not its no bother to look elsewhere.

I recently picked up 12 H herbertaxelrodi, and I wouldn't say they shoal. I have never had that many (I haven't had the fish for 30 years, and then, used to buy them in sixes). They seem very oriented to the upper tank, which surprised me. They're in a 30 gallon planted quarantine tank, and they form loose groups, usually 2 groups. Most tetras don't shoal unless a predator is threatening them. They will form social groups and forage together, or in sight of each other, but they break up the large groups.
It may be partly because in short tanks (this tank is only 30 inches across the front), how can they shoal even if they want to.

This fish keeping game is hard, just thought I'd found the right small fish for my new tank, I've now seen photos of Celestial Pearl Danios wow what a cracking looking wee fish.

Most reactions

Back