Littledreamer89

Reaction score
I currently have
7 white cloud minnows
2 Molly's ( 1 male and 1 female)
3 platy's ( 1 male 2 females)
4 Cory's (Julii)
1 mystery snail

I am wanting to get one more female Molly, one to two more Cory's, one more mystery snail, and a few more white clouds. I'm just wondering if that is going to be over stalking my tank or if it should be okay I currently do 20% water changes every week to two weeks. My tank has been up and running for 4 months now with no problems I definitely don't want to cause any LOL

Attachments

• 1646192212706254378533641121493.jpg
    1646192212706254378533641121493.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 16461922567265807708547083604972.jpg
    16461922567265807708547083604972.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 26
I currently have
7 white cloud minnows
2 Molly's ( 1 male and 1 female)
3 platy's ( 1 male 2 females)
4 Cory's (Julii)
1 mystery snail

I am wanting to get one more female Molly, one to two more Cory's, one more mystery snail, and a few more white clouds. I'm just wondering if that is going to be over stalking my tank or if it should be okay I currently do 20% water changes every week to two weeks. My tank has been up and running for 4 months now with no problems I definitely don't want to cause any LOL
Also I have a topfin pro50 power filter on it

So I think I got it figured out. They don't have my filter they only have a pro40 or pro60 but its topping out at 98% stocking. So I might cut back on the wcm

I’m quite new to fish keeping, so apologies if this sounds patronising, but only add the new fish a few at a time to make sure the beneficial bacteria can meet the new bio load, and generally it’s suggested on here a 50% water change weekly (especially if you’re going to be close to full capacity).

I’m quite new to fish keeping, so apologies if this sounds patronising, but only add the new fish a few at a time to make sure the beneficial bacteria can meet the new bio load, and generally it’s suggested on here a 50% water change weekly (especially if you’re going to be close to full capacity).
Not at all! No need to apologize and thank you. I'm also pretty new. I fully cycled my tank and the fish I currently have has taken the 4 months to stock. I should have been more specific. Should I do more % of water change 🤔 with the fish I have ?

The issue here is not numbers of fish, but numbers of species. This is where AqAdvisor fails, as no programme can include the necessary factors. Such a site can give one a rough idea as to the bioload (fish, tank volume, filter) but this is not the important issue with stocking and the calculation can be very misleading.

First point is that some of the fish species you have must have larger groups to be healthy. And that affects water quality, because healthy well-adjusted fish have less of an impact on the biological system than not having the proper numbers. As you can see, more fish have less impact, subject obviously to other factors too, but this is "the" real issue when it comes to numbers.

Corydoras catfish are very social, and they need a good-sized group. You have a relatively small-sized species--whether it really is Corydoras julii or the more usual C. trilineatus usually sold as "julii"--both are small. A group of at least 10-12 here. They need a sand substrate, just noting that. In fewer numbers they will be much more prone to stress, which means poorer health.

The White Cloud Mountain Minnows at seven is not bad, a few more (10-11 total) would be OK.

Which brings me to the livebearers, the platies and mollies. Having male and female in this tank is not something I would advise. Once the females are impregnated, you will have regular successions of batches of fry, and not all of them can possibly be eaten. This alone is going to over-populate the tank with a very few months. All fry will have to be culled out, somehow. Having only males in a community tank is the better option.

I concur, water changes should be every week without fail; and greater volume, provided parameters (GH, pH, temperature) of tank water and tap water are reasonably the same. And BTW, mollies must have hard water, whereas cories need softer water, so you should look into this.

Most reactions

Back