Stocking Levels

hedgehog

Reaction score
Can someone explain why there is so much conflicting information regarding stocking levels?

From my reading the calculations I've come acroos advise I can have anything from 140 to 280 cm's of fish in my 100L*40W*70D tank.

everyone has a different opinions on stocking levels. there are a lot of contributory factors to take into account so you can never get a dead set rule.

personally my view is 1" of fish per us gallon of water, so that's 27" in your tank.

but if your fish are low waste producers you can maybe put a few more in, if you have extra good filtration you can have more bio load, if you have a good mix of top middle and bottom swimmers and your filter can handle the bio load you can have more, if your fish are not very active and don't need lots of swimming room you can have more.

every fish has it's own requirements and they can differ vastly so you can't have one dead set rule that covers everything.

1" per us gallon is a good guideline to start from, then research the needs of the individual fish you want to keep and you can make individula descisions from there.

Practicle fishkeeping stocking density calculater, worth you while checking it out.

Results

System type Tropical freshwater aquarium
Dimensions 100 x 40 x 70cm/39" x 16" x 28
Surface area 0.4 sqm/4.31 sq ft/ inches sq in
Volume 280 l./62 gal. (73.97 US gal.)
Probable volume 252 l./56 gal. (67 US gal.)
Stocking density 56"/142cm (built up gradually)
Maximum density 112"/284cm (theoretical maximum)

Based your information, the above is the results there stocking density calculater gave.

I'll be more than happy to insert a link If you want.

I hope this helps.

Also take into account how often you want to do tank maintanence. This is a very important factor that hasn't been mentioned.

If you want to do frequent water changes (a few per week) and have good oxygenation, you can "overstock." You HAVE to keep on top of it though since water conditions can deteriorate quickly.

If you understock, you can go longer between water changes and vaccuuming. You can't neglect it, but this is a much safer route to take.

Most reactions

Back