Stocking Help

Munchiebox

Reaction score
Hey i have a Fish Box 40cm Tank by Interpet 48 litres,i currently have

1x Betta
6x Harlequins
1x Plec

Im just wondering if i could add more fish to this tank or leave it how it is, my betta is docile as hell if that is any concern.

what kind of plec is it. it is a small tank even for a bristlenose plec. you could add more harlequins as 6 isnt really enough, you should aim for about ten minimum. the only other thing i would add is mabe some shrimp? you really should think about the plec as if it is a common plec it can grow to the length of that tank in a year or two

yeah the plec isnt a good idea really.48 litres is not really alot of room really.whats your ph at?

heres some stocking ideas but it depends on your ph tho.

Obviously avoiding larger species like Loaches, most Cichlids and the majority of Catfish, here are some suggestions...

Suggestion 1) 7-8 x Ember tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae), 2 x Sparkling gouramis (Trichopsis pumila).

Suggestion 2) One Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens), 6 x Microrasbora sp.

Suggestion 3) 6 x Ember tetras, 3-4 x Pygmy corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus).

+1 to BETTY BOO, sparkling gouramis would look brilliant in a small tank and they're fairly slow swimmers that won't alienate the betta. The guys are right though, the plec needs rehoming, he can reach a potential 18 inches and would decimate your tank. As for other fish take your pick- pygmy corys, a honey gourami?(Colisa chuna), Ember tetras, a few Dwarf Otos (Otocinclus macrospilus), pygmy rasboras. Whatever you do though, don't get a shoal of cardinals or neons or a stress related death for the betta will ensue...

+1 to BETTY BOO, sparkling gouramis would look brilliant in a small tank and they're fairly slow swimmers that won't alienate the betta. The guys are right though, the plec needs rehoming, he can reach a potential 18 inches and would decimate your tank. As for other fish take your pick- pygmy corys, a honey gourami?(Colisa chuna), Ember tetras, a few Dwarf Otos (Otocinclus macrospilus), pygmy rasboras. Whatever you do though, don't get a shoal of cardinals or neons or a stress related death for the betta will ensue...
Right now the plec is pretty small but my cousin is starting a tank soon so hopefully he can take him off my hands before he becomes to large, thanks for all the advice guys

img0044m.jpg

its ok. dont be to hasty in chucking in new fish though as your harlequins could do with some mates :good:

Yeah, it's not a matter of urgency about the plec, he can probably stay a while but he will grow. I honestly don't think fish stores make it clear enough how unsuitable these fish are without large aquaria...

i agree. its terrible really because taking on a 2 foot plus fish is a very big commitment

he will be fine for a little while but when you can put him in a bigger tank that would be better :good:

Most reactions

Back