Stocking for 64 litre?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I just had a few questions about stocking for my 64 litre interpet fish pod tank.
I have had the tank set up since 2017 and other than having some pest snails that Im trying to get rid of, I have had no issues

I currently have
6 male guppies - (3 endler and 3 normal)
1 Peppered Cory - (planing on getting it some friends if I have the space)
2 black phantom tetra - did have others but are dying out, due to old age im assuming as I have had them a while

I have an All pond solution 600 L/H filter and I do the normal 20% water changes weekly

is this stocking level okay? Is it too much? And if so do I have room for more? All I would probably add is more guppies and more corys ?

thank you in advance

So you have a 64L/17g tank.

The guppies would be alright as long as they are the only fish in the tank.

Corydoras need to be in groups of 6 or more and need bigger tanks. (20g long+) They also need sand as a substrate, as they are filter feeders.

Phatom Tetras are know to be nippy, and would not be suitable with piggies for 2 reasons. 1: Because they nip the guppies fins, and 2: Because they are soft water fish and guppies are hard water fish.

If we keep soft water fish in hard water and vise versa, the ill effects are shortened life, weakened immune systems, reproductive diseases, etc.

Do you know the water hardness in your area? (pH and GH. You will need to look for a number for GH: ppm)

Do you have a bigger tank somewhere?

So you have a 64L/17g tank.

The guppies would be alright as long as they are the only fish in the tank.

Corydoras need to be in groups of 6 or more and need bigger tanks. (20g long+) They also need sand as a substrate, as they are filter feeders.

Phatom Tetras are know to be nippy, and would not be suitable with piggies for 2 reasons. 1: Because they nip the guppies fins, and 2: Because they are soft water fish and guppies are hard water fish.

If we keep soft water fish in hard water and vise versa, the ill effects are shortened life, weakened immune systems, reproductive diseases, etc.

Do you know the water hardness in your area? (pH and GH. You will need to look for a number for GH: ppm)

Do you have a bigger tank somewhere?
Hi, the water in my area is hard. Yeah I only have the phantom tetras as they were previously my sister and she no longer has fish now so I re housed them. Although I have never had an issue with them with the guppies, they never go up to them, had them about a year

And okay I’ll take the Cory of a group of 6 in mind.

Unfortunately I do not have a larger tank and have no way of re housing any of the fish

So at the minute you would suggest just leaving the fish I have ? Or what fish would you suggest in the future ? Guppies and platys? Although I don’t want the issue of fry ?

Last edited:
I would leave the, in there for now, but start looking into either getting a bigger tank or returning them/selling them to the store you got them from.

Since you have hard water, guppies would be best for you.

Most reactions

Back