Stocking and compatibility in 29gal

Lennys

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently planted my third aquarium and would like your opinion on the stocking. The tank is 110l (29gal), I would say heavily planted, a lot of rocks and hiding places.
In the future Im thinking of:
12x Red Minor tetra, 12x Royal tetra, 12x Odessa barb, 12x Silvertip tetra or Lemon tetra, 5x Dwarf sucking catfish, 10x Amano shrimp, some snails and maybe a pair of either Cockatoo dwarf cichlid or Apistogramma viejita in the future.
Is it too much for 29gallon tank and should I add less? If so, which ones would you not recommend? Also, which of the fish would be the hardiest, so I can put them in first?

Thank you for your advice!

Hey guys,
I recently planted my third aquarium and would like your opinion on the stocking. The tank is 110l (29gal), I would say heavily planted, a lot of rocks and hiding places.
12x Red Minor tetra, 12x Royal tetra, 12x Odessa barb, 12x Silvertip tetra or Lemon tetra, 5x Dwarf sucking catfish, 10x Amano shrimp, some snails and maybe a pair of either Cockatoo dwarf cichlid or Apistogramma viejita in the future.
Is it too much for 29gallon tank and should I add less? If so, which ones would you not recommend? Also, which of the fish would be the hardiest, so I can put them in first?

Hi,

It's good you are going for larger groups of tetras at 12. I find it even more rewarding and better for them, if you push that to 20 (if the smaller kind) and have less different types, buts thats me. I personally would give the Odessa's a miss. If it were me, I'd rather they had more swimming space.

I have a 29g with 12 pygmy cories, 4 pandas, 4 juliis and 4 ADF's and am pretty much at full capacity (recently asked on here if i could add more and it was a pretty resounding no). I would say probably half of what you've listed would be full.

Hi,

It's good you are going for larger groups of tetras at 12. I find it even more rewarding and better for them, if you push that to 20 (if the smaller kind) and have less different types, buts thats me. I personally would give the Odessa's a miss. If it were me, I'd rather they had more swimming space.
Ok so if Idont add Odessa's, can I add those 3 kinds of tetras all 15x? Isnt it still too much for the tank?

Hey guys,

Yes id say your well overstocked here for a 29g.

Id do only 2 of the upper level species. Odessa's would need a bigger tank and the red minor Aka Serpae Tetra are known to be troublesome in community set ups as they are notoriously aggressive and fin nippers. So id give them a miss and go for the similar looking Red phantom tetra instead maybe🙂

The Royals and silvertips have also got alittle rep for fin nipping but not in the same league as the serpae.

The lemons are a lovely fit with the Apistogramma and the catfish 🙂 id add the catfish last tho. They need a well established tank to make sure there is enough algae for them to fed off etc

Most reactions

Back