Stocking Advice

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishoftheday

Reaction score
Hi,

NY tank has finally finished it's cycle after 3 weeks, so I'm moving into stocking the tank.

I'm initially going to start with a pair of angels, and just wondering if 2 straight away will be okay regarding the extra ammonia they will be producing. Or is 2 no worries and I could potentially add a little schoal of pgymy Cory's at the same time?

TiA

There won't be extra ammonia per say if the tank is truly cycled - though you should probably test it daily the first week and have some prime (or api equiv) nearby to neutral ammonia if it occurs. I don't see the tank size and water volume will play a role here. I'm not sure i would keep angelfishes with pygmy cory - angelfishes generally should be in an aquarium at least 18 inches high and 48 inches long (imho) which suggest at least a 50 (some people keep them in a 29 but i find that adult males are really cramp in a 29).

The problem with mixing pygmy cory and anglefishes is adult male anglefishes are quite large when fully grown and they might be tempted to go after such a small fish.

Thanks for the heads up, 33w x 14d x 19h, 29 gallon tank FYI.

Probably best I just stick with some dwarf gouramis or something, back to the drawing board it is 😂

Thanks for the heads up, 33w x 14d x 19h, 29 gallon tank FYI.

Probably best I just stick with some dwarf gouramis or something, back to the drawing board it is 😂
yea - something a bit smaller would work better with pygmy; not dwarf gourami unless you can find wild caught ones but there are plenty of alternatives. Maybe honey gourami ?

I do like honey gouramis, could a pair of those work together? I'm after a peaceful(ish) community tank, ideally with a schoal of Cory's and a schoal of tetras or barbs something like that

I'll let others comment on # of honey - i've read various things but prefer someone with first hand experience chime in. Do not keep dwarf cichilds with pygmy unless a single male.

Most reactions

Back