Stocking a 6 gallon

CatherineB

Reaction score
Hi all 👋
I'm still relatively new to the hobby, I've just set up a 15gallon with 6 harlequins, a male betta, cherry shrimp and I'm about to add a couple nerites. So far all is going OK. The tank is about 4 months old.
My other half bought me a 6g interpet tank for Christmas with the Intention of having a betta on his own.

My question is, could I have the fighter in there with 6 pygmy Cory's, a nerite and maybe some shrimps or would it be over stocked?
Thank you.

Were you planning on keeping the shrimp? (sorry - had to do it) .
I would not combine but lets hear from the others...

I have shrimp with my betta in my 15g, so far it's working OK 😌 he hasn't bothered too much with them apart from the shrimplets, they have plenty of hiding places though and he hasn't bothered them.
It's more 6 pygmy Cory's and a nerite I'm concerned about in my 6g. Would it be overstocked? I'll think about shrimps after.

6 pygmy cory in a 6 gallon tank would be cramped. 6 cories would be better suited in a 10 gallon tank.

Too small for anything more than the male betta and the shrimp and snails. No other fish are suitable. The betta may eat the shrimp though

Do not combine pygmy cories and a betta. Also, the cories need a group of at least 10-12 or they will have issues, and a 6g is insufficient space. Bettas are not community fish, though some do not agree. But conbining upper fish with a betta is comparable to driving your car while intoxicated; you may get home OK, but there is a very real risk you will not.

Most reactions

Back