Stocking 170 Litre Tropical Aquarium

goodste

Reaction score
Hi All

Not sure how to decide what fish I should put in my tank or how many I should be looking at. The tank is 55cm x 55cm x 65cm and is 170 litres.

What I was thinking:
2 x Gardneri Panchax Killifish
8 x Galaxy Rasbora
6 x Panda Cory
2 x Balloon Ram

Are these all suitable?
Am I above or below my max stock level?

I also like Dwarf Neon Rainbow, or some sort of tetra.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Do you know your water parameters? Things like GH/KH PH?

You should be able to find these things on your water suppliers web site, If not you may need to buy a test kit,

GH is general hardness which is what is meant by hard or soft water. (It is a measure of divalent metal ions, usually calcium and magnesium with tiny amounts of others. Info from my son who used to work for a water testing company)

KH is carbonate hardness, water companies call it alkalinity. This shows how much buffering capacity the water has - this just means how easy or hard it is to change the pH. Water company websites in the UK rarely give the alkalinity but those in other countries often do.

If your water is soft, your GH is low and your KH is also likely to be low.

In fish profiles you'll find that soft water usually goes with low pH and hard water with high pH. Like me, you have soft water and high pH. Since hardness is more important than pH, you need to look at soft water fish avoiding those that need a low pH.

Most of the fish on your list should be OK. The one I would advise against is the rainbowfish. Not because of the water but because they are active fish that need more than 55cm swimming length. I've had them in the past and they zoom around the tank.

Hi Thanks for all the advise, I wasn't sure about Rainbow which is why they weren't straight on the list.

How is the stock level with the numbers I have suggested?

Many consider the numbers when stocking, but there is much more to it.  Each species of fish has "preferences" when it comes to water parameters (the GH, pH and temperature), water flow (the filter is the prime factor here), the aquascape (wood, rock, plants can be very important to many species).  Then there are the numbers for the species itself; many are shoaling fish that must have a group but there is no hard rule for numbers, though usually more is always better for the fish with a few exceptions.  Last there is the behavioural aspects of each species, especially important when different species are being considered for a community tank.  When any species is maintained outside its preferences, in all these aspects, it will be under stress and this means at the very least its health is compromised.  Put simply, it will not be "happy," but this goes much deeper.

Going back to your initial list...the rams prefer quiet water, as they originate in ponds and very slow-flowing streams.  Panda cories are the exact opposite, as they come from flowing mountain streams.  With just these two species, we have another difference, temperature; rams need warmth, around 80F, whereas panda cories will not last this warm, and need the temperature around 76-77F max.  So on two factors alone, these two species are not compatible.

The Galaxy Rasbora, or Celestial Pearl Danio, is best on its own, and with a largish group (8 is minimum but workable).  The killifish mentioned has several unique needs, best described here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/fundulopanchax-gardneri-gardneri/

When you said the water is soft, were you assuming this from the pH?  Or do you have the number for the GH?  This can be crucial for some species, less so for others, so knowing the exact number is helpful.

Byron.

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I got the water hardness from my water supplier.

I didn't just pick random fish and I did look at what numbers they like to be kept in why I suggested pair Killifish and shoels for corys and Rasbora.
Also I checked the temperature that these fish all like and the website I looked at and my local shop both said 72 - 79 for the corys and Rams and the killi fish and Rasbora 73 - 79. So I thought I was safe with temperature.
My tank is planted which corys will like and Rams I believe.

I thought I had been quite thorough.

One has to be careful when using sources of data.  Knowing the source is key to reliability.

Your numbers were OK, though I would up the cories when space permits; these fish live in groups in the hundreds, and while five has been shown to be the minimum, they will inevitably be better with more.  The 2 rams must be a bonded pair or one will likely be dead before long, but you may realize that [sorry, but I try not to assume whatever].

The temperature though is off base.  Here's good data on the panda cory, note especially the para under water conditions:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-panda/
Planet Catfish also gives 77F/25C as the highest.

The temperature for the common ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, is a bit confusing.  I assume many otherwise-reliable sources will allow lower temperatures for this species on the thinking that since they are all tank raised (unless you are fortunate to get imported wild fish) they are somehow adaptable.  I question this.  Wild rams must have 80F and preferably 82F or higher, much like discus.  Rams have a lifespan of four-five years, but I have never heard of anyone keeping them below 80F for this long.  But if someone has, I will revise my thinking--maybe.
wink.png

The other thing I forgot to mention on the Balloon Ram--this is something many of us do not support, the deliberate deforming of a fish to create the "balloon" variety.  It happens with species other than rams too, sadly.  This is a true deformation, and it causes trouble for the fish to "live," makes it more susceptible to various health issues, and so far as I know shortens what would otherwise be the normal lifespan for the species.  The only way to get individuals to stop this sort of thing is not to buy them.

Thinking about the tank dimensions, you have indeed made some good fish choices.  I would select a different cory though, as the water current is another issue for this fellow.  With soft water, your options are almost endless.  Pencilfish would be something else to consider, especially the species Nannostomus eques, N. marginatus, N. mortenthaleri, N. rubrocaudatus, or N. espei.  These are more peaceful than some of the others, less likely to nip.  Though the killies would still be a problem here.  Anyway, some more ideas.

Byron.

Once again thank you for all the advice.

I did ideally want to up the corys and Rasbora as I would rather have bigger groups of these but don't want to over fill the tank.

I was getting my informatio from: http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830

I definitely wanted some corys as I believe they have great personality. What other types would be more suitable for my tank.

I looked at the link you provided for the Killifish but can't see what would rule it out from my tank? Sorry for asking so many questions.

I never knew the Rams were artificially ballooned. But I may unfortunately be stuck with these as a friend is getting rid of his tank and I am the only person who will rehome them. Also unfortunately they are not a bonded pair they are two males but have lived together in a much smaller tank so was hoping in a well planted 170l they may be happier.

I will definitely look at pencil fish.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Just on short note without reading any previous comments: Never get a balloon breed of any species! Those are pitiful man made creatures, which miss all the beauty of nature and are impaired in their swimming and other capabilities.

I did ideally want to up the corys and Rasbora as I would rather have bigger groups of these but don't want to over fill the tank.

This is another aspect of stocking that is frequently misunderstood, namely the effects on the biological system with numbers of shoaling fish.  Species that live together in large shoals will generally be less stressed the more there are.  It may not seem like much to us, but for the fish the difference between a group of six and a group of nine can be significant.  The larger number will generally mean more relaxed fish, less likely to be stressed by this or that, than would be the case with fewer.  So it is generally safer biologically to have a few more than a few less.  If that makes sense.

I looked at the link you provided for the Killifish but can't see what would rule it out from my tank? Sorry for asking so many questions.

There is a comment under behaviour that this species is not suitable for the general community aquarium.  Killifish generally are like this, for various reasons.  It doesn't happen to say it here, but I am sure I have read elsewhere that this fish can get a bit rough especially with smaller fish.  I guess all I can say is that I would tend to think of this as more like the Galaxy Rasbora, best on their own.  That doesn't mean they may not work in some community aquaria, but unless one has several tanks running with the ability to move any "problem" fish that develop down the road, the safer course is to not risk it.  More than once I have acquired what I thought was a peaceful fish, only to have to move them sometimes more than once, even to the point of getting rid of them, because they just won't fit in, and here I mean temperament/aggressive tendencies that may suddenly appear toward certain other fish species.

was getting my informatio from: http://m.liveaquaria...plies.cfm?c=830

This should be more reliable than some sites, from what I can see of their staff.  But they are in the business of selling fish.  Data on a species from reputable ichthyologists would carry more weight.

I definitely wanted some corys as I believe they have great personality. What other types would be more suitable for my tank.

Most other species would be better suited.  Here with the limited space, and the vertical nature of the aquarium, and considering your lovely soft water, I would take a look at the dwarf species, Corydoras habrosus, C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus.  Any of these should be in larger groups, at least 10-12.  But some of the medium-sized species would also work, in groups of perhaps 9-10.  These will be wild caught, and thus usually available only once or twice during the year following the permitted collection times in SA.  There are over 165 described species now, so where to begin?  I would settle the upper fish species first, then look at the cory species that might better fit in with what you intend.  I have around 50 in my 70g, representing some dozen species, and it is interesting that several I see out and about at all times, while other species I would never know are there except they come out front at feeding time.

I understand about the balloon rams.  Poor little fish.  Perhaps their natural traits (two males would always be challenging one another normally) have been compromised, it does happen.

And never be afraid to ask questions.  If more hobbyists did, before the fact, there would be fewer fish calamities and failed tanks and disaffected aquarists leaving the hobby.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back