Still Battling Algae Among Other Things.

Phage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well I am still having algae problems and I am not sure what to do.

In my 55 gallon, the hair algae has seemed to disappear but now I have black brush algae growing on my wood and filter intake. I don't think any of the plants have it.
The lower leaves of my stem plants grow algae.
The top part of the leaves of Lilaeopsis mauritius are curling over and growing algae.
I had a bunch of spot algae growing on the glass but I increased the amount of kh2p04 and it seems to have helped a lot but still it grows, but not as fast.

My 20 gal also has black brush algae on the wood.
The leaves of my wisteria seem pale/thin and the older leaves grow brownish and curl over.
Java fern is really thin compared to the fern in my other tank.

Any ideas? Much appreciated and thank you. There are links in my sig with specs of my tanks.

I wish I could help w/ algae problems, but that is something I'm still struggling with myself heh.

Yep either low CO2 levels and too much lighting left on for too long................
Or a flow or distribution issue, or a mixture of them all. Some tanks stats would help.

Cheers Gordon.

Substrate: Flourite with a tiny bit of regular gravel
Temperature: 76-78F/25C
Lighting: Two 56W bulbs T-5, 3pm-10pm
Filter: HOB Topfin 60
CO2: Pressurized, 1 bps. Drop checker shows limeish green, using diffuser.
Ferts: EI 1/4 tsp kh2po4, 1/4 tsp kno3, 1/8 csm+b 3x a week
Water Change: Once a week
Extra: Piece of mopani wood, Aquaclear 70 powerhead
Inhabitants: 2 angelfish, 1 gold gourami, 3 zebrafish, 6 danio kytathit, 1 oto. Trumpet snails.

Plants:
Nymphaea zenkeri
Microsorum pteropus
Cryptocoryne wendtii green and brown
Lilaeopsis mauritius
Anubias barteri var. nana
Ludwigia repens
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae
Echinodorus x. 'Ozelot'
Christmas moss
Bacopa australis
Sagittaria platyphylla
Hornwort

Pictures here
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=289015

My drop checker looks limeish green (not in the picture because I just put it in then)

So I should cut back to 6 hours of light and try 2bps?

More fast growing plants should help. But most importantly, I don't think the filter is strong enough. Largely because its a HOB. Therefore water isn't being circulated around to the plants enough, and not delivering the nutrients/CO2.

So my powerhead doesn't help at all? All my plants 'wave in the wind' and the drop checker is on the other side of the tank and turns light green. Hmm. I will save money and try to buy an external then?
What plants should I buy? That would look nice with what I have.

Didn't see the powerhead listed. Do you know how many litres per hour the tank is "turning over".
Hygrophilia species come in a vast range of leaf sizes and textures. Plus they all grow fast.

AquaClear 70 Power
Head, 400 GPH by Hagen

Power Filter 60 Up to 60 gallons 300 GPH

That's what the websites say.

I really like wisteria but my angels eat it. I had a bunch but it was torn to shreds within a week. They have since moved on to christmas moss. Lol.

Refresh the drop checker with new solution and increase the CO2 (for now try 2-3 bubbles a second). Observe throughout the day to see if fish start acting "drunk" and gasping. If not then keep it at this level. I'm quite sure it is low CO2 and 1 bubble per second does sound too low for a tank this size.

Edit: Oh, and also increase the KNO3 to 1/2tsp

Alright, I will try that. I know at night they gasp for air so I turn the co2 down but I increase it a hour or two before I put the lights on.
Also, where should I place my equipment? The filter is on the back right side with intake on the bottom, the powerhead is on the right front at the top. Diffuser is below powerhead. And drop checker is on the left top. Does this sound right?

Edit: how should I clean the algae? The black beard is hard to take off. Should I cut off the leaves that have algae too?

Alright, I will try that. I know at night they gasp for air so I turn the co2 down but I increase it a hour or two before I put the lights on.
Also, where should I place my equipment? The filter is on the back right side with intake on the bottom, the powerhead is on the right front at the top. Diffuser is below powerhead. And drop checker is on the left top. Does this sound right?

Edit: how should I clean the algae? The black beard is hard to take off. Should I cut off the leaves that have algae too?

Personally I would place the powerhead half way up the glass in the back left-hand corner, directing it's flow towards the front/opposite front corner of the tank. Then put the drop checker on the right hand side glass panel.

Yes, the leaves with the black beard should be cut off. Just like any other leaves that have difficult algae on them.

Just give the wood a good scrub. Sometimes scouring pad like pads willl work. However a brand new shoe shine brush should work too. Take it out of the water to do this to avoid stressing the fish.

Most reactions

Back