Steralising Used Tank?

dt3000

Reaction score
What's the best way to clean & steralise a used tank and get rid of all the nasty stuff?

For lime stains use white vinegar. For sterilizing use 1 part bleach to 20 parts water. For horribly encrusted tanks, the type that were neglected marine or fresh water with very hard water use Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. Toillet cleaner is concentrated acid, use gloves, goggles & long sleeved garments with plenty of ventilation. It will eat skin, be careful around the silicone seals. Rinse like you've never rinsed before after using any of these.

normal white vinegar will not only remove stains but is good at killing germs too. No need to use bleach. Vinegar is much safer too in case you don't rinse properly and leave a bit in.

Can you use something like homebase household ammonia? After all, i used that to cycle my tank in the first place as an ammonia souce? If you cleaned it well with that, then rinsed it well then i would have thought it would be ok. ??????

LOL.. i guess if your about to do a fishless cycle, you could just not rinse it that well and start the cycle off.. hehehe.. im joking here, i was just wondering if this stuff could be used..

Squid

Most reactions

Back