Steps to setting up

FrAnK3333

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I will be swtiching eventually, but its a matter that I just dont have the money. This summer tho I will be able to start to save up for a switch but here is my idea. What if I just buy everything in stages, that way the tank cycles and I can buy everything a a pace my income will let me. Is it a good idea though? First will be a R/O and salt, hydrometer and a powerhead Then..
-skimmer
-LR
-Lighting
-anything forgotin or small bits along the way.
-Inverts and maybe a fish
-fish
-corals
Bear in mind ths is over a long period, maybe even a year. First task is getting a tank for my fw and move them and having the 20 L ready for the switch. The 20L U.S gallons has a rena 300 and a emperor 400 already on it. But my real question is should I buy all the equiment and LR at once or can I but it over time?

You can buy it over time. Check out the topic pinned to the top of the forum - there's a great one there about setting up a marine tank and they take it pretty slowly :)

Right now, I have my tank set up, the substrate in, powerheads in, and the sump and skimmer are almost ready for use. It's been like this for three weeks. :p

Next time I go to my LFS, I'm going to get lighting and plumbing for my tank.

Baby steps... just a little at a time (or at least that's what my bank statement is trying to tell me).

Im in the process of setting up a little SW tank :)

At the moment i just have water and salt in it :rolleyes: It may have to stay like that until next week though as im going away for a few days and dont want to risk anything going horribly wrong while im away!

I was just going to buy the bits for the tank in stages to save money, but i think, in the end, it will cost less to have everything from the start. So far i've spent about £100 on equipment, though im not using a skimmer. I may in the future, but as its not entirely necessary for my set up i've decided to wait.

I've just bought some new lighting and stuff so that i can have corals! I was going to just go for live rock, but i was too tempted by the corals!! They're so pretty! :D Im doing as you are and taking my time setting it up as im new to saltwater and dont want to mess it all up!!!

Good luck with your tank!!

Ive been wanting to set up one for months now, hopefully this summer is the time it can happen. But one question lets say I bought a r/o unit and salt and a powerhead, its all filled with water, well some LR takes room, and I just buy a couple pounds at a time while still getting the equiment. Would it be all right? I would throw in a cocktail shrimp for the bacteria.

Hi..in general, plunking in pieces of LR at different times is just going to cause more work , IMO. In addition, if you add a piece that is not completely cycled or has continued die off, the ammonia spike may kill any new life you've added to your tank. For anyone starting a nano, I'd say save your money for the required amount of LR and cycle it all at once. Unless you are 100% sure that the rock you are adding is COMPLETELY cycled. I just thing that there are few areas to cut corners and live rock shouldn't be one of them. This hobby IS expensive in areas. Beauty comes slowly, disaster comes quickly. Try and save up for your LR. Welcome aboard. SH

Jessica13 said:
I may in the future, but as its not entirely necessary for my set up i've decided to wait.
Hi Jessica

I would say that big or small setups require a Skimmer as a way to export any/all toxins from a tank.

Del

:D :D

im not using a skimmer. I may in the future, but as its not entirely necessary for my set up i've decided to wait.

MAy i ask what setup you are running? The only setup i would say will work without a skimmer is a mud system and for this of course you need a sump. Anything else i would recomend a skimmer . I have found recently that even running a mud system requires the assistance of a skimmer for the fish that i keep. :/

I know plenty of fish only systems that do not run a skimmer! However, if you plan on keeping corals in this system, I would definitely recommend getting a skimmer.
If you are not running a mud system as Navarre stated, I would suggest get one anyways, don't you want the best possible water quality for your fish?

Hi...I'm running my nano cube without a skimmer, but, I am doing weekly water changes. I will admit tho', that I think popular consensus with regards to small marine systems is leaning towards the use of a protein skimmer. I plan to continue my path until or unless I begin to run into difficult problems. I think in the short term you'll probably be OK without one, but, if you tend towards being an 'overbioloader', investing in a protein skimmer would not be a bad idea. SH

Hi Guys

IMO for the cost of a Skimmer, why not get one,
I think that Skimmers are one of the major factors in making Marine Setups accesable in the past years, before then the chanses of a newbie managing a marine tank with success IMO was extremely difficult

just my 2 pence worth

Del

:D :D

I do plan on keeping coral thats why Im getting new lighting instead of the fw lighting I have now. As for the skimmer I plan on buying one, but I want a good one, any suggestions?

Hey Frank

I would suggest either the Deltec MCE600 (100g) or the Aquamedics Biostar Skimmer (65g)

Hope this helps

Del

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Chac...I"ll check it out.... AquaC Remora and the CPR BakPak get great ratings tho'...but...I'm going to look yours up and see what it looks like. Thanks for the rec. SH

Most reactions

Back