Steel Aquarium

nsomnia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just looking to see what peole think of the idea, for starters im looking to build an 8x2x2 aquarium ( all prices are canadian ). i called a glass shop and got a quote on glass and they wanted $600 for each 2 x 8 peice at half inch thick, it was almost 2500 for just the glass :no: . so i started looking into other materials and seen peeps using all wood with a coating of waterproof material and a glass front but this just seems like a leek fest to me. so i thought what about sheet steel, i called up the local metal shop and its only $70 for a 2x8 sheet of 5/16 steel. the guy was also saying that i could order say a 12x2 and bend the metal so that the side pieces are seemless with the back piece. this seems to be a super cheep method, if i did the welding myself id be looking at about $200 for metal and $600 for the one sheet of glass for the front then its just a mater of what to finnish the inside with. what do ya all think, seems like a good idea

The metal would need to be of a material that wouldn't rust which mild steel does, of the top of my head alumium would be good but expensive or aquatic steel but again expensive. You could use steel bars to make the frame and then acrylic sheets instead of glass. Secondly good luck with getting a nice small bend in that 12x8 sheet :crazy:. Finally metal over time can dissolve in the water raising your X levels X = metal in question.

i called around today and there is a guy locally that will media blast and powdercoat the inside of the tank for 200 or 250 for inside and out, the powdercoat should disgared any worries of rust or corrosion, i think :unsure: if so im only looking at a little over $1000

Bolt it on with plenty of silicone sealant I would imagine. Be careful with what he will powder coat it with as you don't want anything which will dissolve in water which I know zinc does if your refferring to galvanising. Here is a relatively simple guide to electro-chemical reactions basicly how quickly something will rust. If you put for example zinc on an iron nail the zinc will oxidise (rust) and sacrifice itself to save the iron, however once the zinc has run out the iron will rust. I know the ocean liners need to be regalvanised every 5 years so that would be a good estimate to go by. I really thing acrylic or polycarbonate would be the better way to go instead of glass.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/redoxeqia/ecs.html

im not sure what is in the powedercoat but i can find out, the powdercoat he is using is common black that he uses for automotive puposes like frames and suspension parts. the reason i thought powdercoat would be best is becouse of durabillity and the abuse it can take without chipping

the only reason i am wanting to use glass is for scratch resistance, it does not happen often but every once and a while my oscar or my jack with freek out and slam ornaments against the glass, but the acrylic on the other hand can easily be drilled and bolted to the steel

I'm forever the DIY fan and if I can build it cheaper I will but can I ask why you would want to do this? Surely there are some custom build companies whom you could approach to do this cheaper in Canada plus you'd have the safety of some sort of guarentee? Dunno just seems like a lot of faff to go any other route...

click to enlarge

tank2.png

I'm forever the DIY fan and if I can build it cheaper I will but can I ask why you would want to do this? Surely there are some custom build companies whom you could approach to do this cheaper in Canada plus you'd have the safety of some sort of guarentee? Dunno just seems like a lot of faff to go any other route...

i havent found an aquarium this size for under 2k and im yet to find any reputable companies to build a tank, i have found a petstore about an hour away that can get me a marineland 265 gal for 2k plus shiping to there store but they dont insure the shipping so if it get broken in its travel its my problem. i have also just found someone who can get me glass at cost whick is about %40 less but even so its still expensive. the steel tank just seems easy, i could have it done with little effort in 2 days and its a solid tank

yeah ive thought about using stainless, ill price it up when the shop is open. i was also thinking i could just coat the inside with the pond liner stuff

IDK if it is much help, but around here people make plywood tanks, but they are more like ponds. It just a giant plywood box with pond liner inside it. The fish are only viewable from the top. They are really cheap tanks though.

Most reactions

Back