staying interested in the hobby

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am having a problem. Of all the fish I bought last year the only ones left alive are 2 varieties of corydoras catfish (trilineatus and bronze - in separate tanks), 2 male guppies, 1 male GBR, and 4 (unless another has been killed) tetras from a private seller.

The tetras are my fault, I should have just put all in the 100 but that still would have left me with a lone columbian. I thought I knew about GBR just because 15 years ago I had 2 pair that laid eggs, were cute and heater killed before anything else had time to go wrong. The red eye tetras had something and it only affected tetras. Mollies not suited to my water. I didn't even bother with platies.

I lost multiple species to neon tetra disease between 2018 and 2020 before I realized what it was, and of course there is no cure. I can't trust a store to buy fish from them. I suspect I will have only guppies and albino bristlenose and my clown pleco, and cories until somehow I run out of those. I just am afraid it's a waste of money and I get tired of the body count. Years ago I kept african cichlids. Got tired of the fighting. I've had a reef, the work of lifting water and the anemone allergy caused me to give it away. Marine diseases are now much more prevalent than in 1995 when I set up the reef. I'm sad. I don't know how to get back interested and the sad truth is I bought a new 29 and a new 55 in late 2021. anyone have a cure for this malaise?

Hello Alice. Your post reads like you're in need of a change. If you're willing to do something that's completely different, I have a project for you and your 55 gallon tank. The idea is completely crazy, but not horribly expensive. It's something unique and will create a tank that no one else on this site will have. It will take time to set up, but this project isn't complicated. However, if you have cats, then I'll have to find someone else. Interested??

10 Tanks (Now 11)

It sounds like you are dealing with the "great fishtrade problem' - the short sighted marketing that bedevils our hobby. It's no fun when you buy diseased fish.

My way around was to go for totally uncommercial fish. Even fish farms have offbeat species that are not mass produced, and tend to be healthier. I avoid popular fish unless they come from the wild.

I also have mostly killies, which are almost invariably home bred. It means avoiding the guppy mill stores, and that is hard. But the hobby is more fun for it.

Being in the continental USA, you have mail order suppliers, and I have heard positive things about some of these. One that stands out is The Wet Spot in Portland, Oregon. I've never been down there, and can't order from them (they won't ship outside the continental US) but several members over the past few years have spoken highly of their fish and their service. Make sure you plan the tank(s) well with all intended species researched, and then consider what to order. They have quite a website.

I was fortunate when I entered the hobby in the 1980's to have a local aquarium store that was owned and staffed by hobbyists and thy imported all of their fish. I never had disease issues, and I never quarantined, and I learned to do research. I had to take a break when I moved to Vancouver from Victoria, but in the 1990's I was again fortunate to have a couple local fish stores that did the same. These places are sadly few and far apart these days, having been reduced by the "cheap" fish chains with their inferior and disease-riddled fish.

I had a fabulous fish store until 1999. I won't have any fish shipped in during our 100 degree weather. Ice packs fail, loading docks are hot, so I have several months to think about ordering. It is good to know who is reliable., thank you.

Killifish are an interesting idea but I don't know if anyone local breeds them. The local area FB pages are run by fish stores basically. Small fish stores, at least one of whom does absolutely no quarantine or meds on fish coming straight from southeast asia. In the meantime I'm going to go tend my bees. Thank you.

10 Tanks I'll look at your idea when you post it

Hello Alice. Just wanted to check to confirm you have no cats. The tank I'm suggesting involves the use of the Chinese Evergreen plant. The leaves can be toxic to cats. This is a larger scale, 55 gallon tank, that requires little maintenance, other than a weekly water change that's really optional. If you don't think it's something you want to mess with, I understand. Not many believe it's possible and may not like the look anyway.

By the way, I have a sister who lives in Ft. Worth with her family. Funny thing though, they moved from Colorado and must have forgotten to tell me. So, I don't know where they live. Weird huh?

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello Alice. Just wanted to check to confirm you have no cats. The tank I'm suggesting involves the use of the Chinese Evergreen plant. The leaves can be toxic to cats. This is a larger scale, 55 gallon tank, that requires little maintenance, other than a weekly water change that's really optional. If you don't think it's something you want to mess with, I understand. Not many believe it's possible and may not like the look anyway.

By the way, I have a sister who lives in Ft. Worth with her family. Funny thing though, they moved from Colorado and must have forgotten to tell me. So, I don't know where they live. Weird huh?

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I have 3 cats. sorry. I didn't see that part. I don't have any uncovered tanks due to humidity buildup in the house fighting with air conditioning.

It sounds like you are dealing with the "great fishtrade problem' - the short sighted marketing that bedevils our hobby. It's no fun when you buy diseased fish.

My way around was to go for totally uncommercial fish. Even fish farms have offbeat species that are not mass produced, and tend to be healthier. I avoid popular fish unless they come from the wild.

I also have mostly killies, which are almost invariably home bred. It means avoiding the guppy mill stores, and that is hard. But the hobby is more fun for it.

Gary, can shrimp be kept with killifish?

Hi Alice. No problem. The Chinese Evergreen isn't a good plant to keep with animals that might chew it.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I am having a problem. Of all the fish I bought last year the only ones left alive are 2 varieties of corydoras catfish (trilineatus and bronze - in separate tanks), 2 male guppies, 1 male GBR, and 4 (unless another has been killed) tetras from a private seller.

The tetras are my fault, I should have just put all in the 100 but that still would have left me with a lone columbian. I thought I knew about GBR just because 15 years ago I had 2 pair that laid eggs, were cute and heater killed before anything else had time to go wrong. The red eye tetras had something and it only affected tetras. Mollies not suited to my water. I didn't even bother with platies.

I lost multiple species to neon tetra disease between 2018 and 2020 before I realized what it was, and of course there is no cure. I can't trust a store to buy fish from them. I suspect I will have only guppies and albino bristlenose and my clown pleco, and cories until somehow I run out of those. I just am afraid it's a waste of money and I get tired of the body count. Years ago I kept african cichlids. Got tired of the fighting. I've had a reef, the work of lifting water and the anemone allergy caused me to give it away. Marine diseases are now much more prevalent than in 1995 when I set up the reef. I'm sad. I don't know how to get back interested and the sad truth is I bought a new 29 and a new 55 in late 2021. anyone have a cure for this malaise?
Byron suggested Wet Spot. I have heard good things about this company, but have not used them. I have used Aqua Huna Several times with great results. I quarantined for 1 month and no surprises. Healthy fish.

there are a lot of great ideas presented here. Like all hobbies sometimes we just get burned out at some stage. Maybe it's cuz we start too fast and want to do everything we see and emulate the others. I think a break is goor at times and maybe we we get back to our hobby we should start slower and just enjoy the hobby for what is is after all hobbies are meant to be fun. take care and good luck...

You could always try a new hobby that's similar to fishkeeping - such as vivariums/terrariums. I'm restarting my posion dart frog vivarium. It's a lot of fun & has many similarities to fishkeeping.

Most reactions

Back