Starting New Nano

rjbrooksjr

Reaction score
Hey everyone - Right now I have a 55 gal saltwater fish only setup. I bought a 10 gallon tank last night because I'd like to set up a mini reef system. My question is, when I do a WC on the 55 gallon tank this weekend, would it be beneficial in terms of cycling the new 10 gallon to use water I pull out of the 55? I was thinking maybe that and a little LR from it also might help get things started. Or should I start with new/clean water like normal?

Thanks!

You can used established water, provided you don't have flat worms and things like that you might transfer over that you would rather try to keep out of your new tank. You can use some lr from your other tank if you want.

It's really all up to you.

I dont see why not... like kj said, as long as it is free of parasites then you can use it... but to be honesy, the water itself doesnt carry many bacteria, the bacteria are in the filter :)

what tank did you get by the way?

no there isn't much bacteria in it all, but all the chemical imbalances are worked out already. It's actually best to use established water. When I set up a QT tank for new fish, I fill half of it up from a water change on my 40 breeder. Also, that's where my new fish will go so it makes acclimating them to that tank easier, imo.

but like I said, it's all up to you.

Most reactions

Back