Starting 75 gallon planted tropical tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sudzzy

Reaction score
So I recently decided to start a freshwater aquarium. I used to have a 125 gallon reef tank that my friend gave me when he moved but it's been a long time and I just used what he had set up. I've been buying equipment to set up my new tank and decided I really want to do a planted tank. I would really like to get my moss and other plants flourishing quickly so that I can have a nice carpet and some anubias, ferns etc so that when I do start to add fish they will have plenty of atmosphere and places to hide plus the oxygen and other benefits plants provide. That all being said I have two main questions. The first is related to substrate. I have read so many different things but I'm leaning towards a live substrate like caribseas freshwater eco complete plant substrate. Will using a live substrate be too difficult for a new hobbyist? Is using an inert substrate and root tabs better for plants or just safer for someone new to planted tanks? Secondly, can I add plants to my tank while I am cycling it to give them an extra boost in initial growth and get them started for the month or so I am waiting for the cycle to run its course? Thank you so much for your help!!

Some plant substrates can release ammonia into the water for quite a while (6 months or more). This will poison any fish you put in the tank.

For a beginner, you are probably better off using normal aquarium gravel and aquarium plant fertiliser (tablet and liquid).

Yes you can set the tank up with plants and let them grow for a bit before adding fish. If you have lots of plants in the tank, you can add some fish within a week and most of the ammonia they produce will be used by the plants.

Some plant substrates can release ammonia into the water for quite a while (6 months or more). This will poison any fish you put in the tank.

For a beginner, you are probably better off using normal aquarium gravel and aquarium plant fertiliser (tablet and liquid).

Yes you can set the tank up with plants and let them grow for a bit before adding fish. If you have lots of plants in the tank, you can add some fish within a week and most of the ammonia they produce will be used by the plants.
Ok, thank you for the tips. I know gravel is much easier to maintain I just didn't know if root tabs and fertilizer could provide adequate growth. Just curious what do more experienced people that use the live substrates do to prevent ammonia spikes?

Colin is right about substrates releasing ammonia, however, 6 months is not quite correct, not in my case anyway. I setup and started my 55 gallon tank on June 23, 2020 and by July 16, 2020 I added two Angel fish and 10 Red Eyed Tetras, then added 7 albine cories, 2 BN Plecos, and about 10 assorted snails. Some algae eating snails and other types. Here is a picture of my tank taken on September 29, 2020 and the plants have taken over this tank.
55 gallon Tank 9-29-20.jpg

My 55 gallon is a low tech tank meaning I am not using co2 injections, however, if you want carpeting plants then you may have to use co2.
I did get ammonia at the start but it cleared up long before I added fish. I use a good canister filter, here is a link to the one I use and I really like it, because you can control the flow rate and the UV light time. Sunsun HW-3000. So I suggest for a 75 gallon you use a canister filter. But do research to figure out what works best for you. Be sure and use some well-rooted plants like Amazon swords, there are several others. You need the roots to spread out into the substrate to help with gas build-up.

When I mixed my Aqua-soil I followed as close as I could to Father Fishes' video showing how he makes his own aqua-soil.

Here is the recipe that I used, but you can alter it and it will still work good for you. Except for the longevity of the aqua-soil might be compromised meaning it will not keep its nutritional values for years to come. You can substitute any good potting soil as long it does not have added ingredients, just pure natural potting soil. Don't use any potting soil that has sticks and other stuff you don't need.
One last thing and this is very important for what I use, mix it and then use it. Don't let it set for more than 24 hours. I mixed some up and used it after it had mixed two weeks ago and it was not pretty. But if done right you will have fantastic results.

2" thick of aquasoil in 55g tank.
Supplements
1/2 cup (4 oz) each
Earthworm Castings (Made from earthworm farms, has lots of benefits)
Blood Meal (High in Nitrogen lowers ph)
Baking Soda (an alkaline compound raises ph)
Ironite Plus 15-10-10 (Slow release because plants need iron)
Yellow Iron Oxide (For more pure iron,it is safe for aquarium use, slowly breaks down over time)
Pro Aglime (raises ph used in soil for plant growth)
Diatomaceous Earth (for calcium made from ancient diatoms)

1/3 cup (2 oz) very little each
Epsom Salt for plants (helps with bad bacteria)
Osomekote (slow release)

Main ingredients
16 cups
Black Kow 0.5 0.5 0.5
Organic Miracle Grow
Peat Moss (lowers ph Helps to keep aquasoil from compacting allow an easy time for plant roots)
Pool Filter Sand (will also help to keep aquasoil from compacting)

Mixed with just enough aquarium water (do not use tap water) to create a paste like aquasoil, you don't want it soupy.
This way it will spread in the tank and not mix with sand and or rock cap.
After adding this aquasoil to my 55g tank, I mixed up a second batch of 16 cups of Black Kow, and 16 cups of Organic Mirical Grow.
Mixed this with aquarium water to a paste. Then added this on top of the previous aqua soil.

Colin is right about substrates releasing ammonia, however, 6 months is not quite correct, not in my case anyway. I setup and started my 55 gallon tank on June 23, 2020 and by July 16, 2020 I added two Angel fish and 10 Red Eyed Tetras, then added 7 albine cories, 2 BN Plecos, and about 10 assorted snails. Some algae eating snails and other types. Here is a picture of my tank taken on September 29, 2020 and the plants have taken over this tank.
View attachment 127791

My 55 gallon is a low tech tank meaning I am not using co2 injections, however, if you want carpeting plants then you may have to use co2.
I did get ammonia at the start but it cleared up long before I added fish. I use a good canister filter, here is a link to the one I use and I really like it, because you can control the flow rate and the UV light time. Sunsun HW-3000. So I suggest for a 75 gallon you use a canister filter. But do research to figure out what works best for you. Be sure and use some well-rooted plants like Amazon swords, there are several others. You need the roots to spread out into the substrate to help with gas build-up.

When I mixed my Aqua-soil I followed as close as I could to Father Fishes' video showing how he makes his own aqua-soil.

Here is the recipe that I used, but you can alter it and it will still work good for you. Except for the longevity of the aqua-soil might be compromised meaning it will not keep its nutritional values for years to come. You can substitute any good potting soil as long it does not have added ingredients, just pure natural potting soil. Don't use any potting soil that has sticks and other stuff you don't need.
One last thing and this is very important for what I use, mix it and then use it. Don't let it set for more than 24 hours. I mixed some up and used it after it had mixed two weeks ago and it was not pretty. But if done right you will have fantastic results.

2" thick of aquasoil in 55g tank.
Supplements
1/2 cup (4 oz) each
Earthworm Castings (Made from earthworm farms, has lots of benefits)
Blood Meal (High in Nitrogen lowers ph)
Baking Soda (an alkaline compound raises ph)
Ironite Plus 15-10-10 (Slow release because plants need iron)
Yellow Iron Oxide (For more pure iron,it is safe for aquarium use, slowly breaks down over time)
Pro Aglime (raises ph used in soil for plant growth)
Diatomaceous Earth (for calcium made from ancient diatoms)

1/3 cup (2 oz) very little each
Epsom Salt for plants (helps with bad bacteria)
Osomekote (slow release)

Main ingredients
16 cups
Black Kow 0.5 0.5 0.5
Organic Miracle Grow
Peat Moss (lowers ph Helps to keep aquasoil from compacting allow an easy time for plant roots)
Pool Filter Sand (will also help to keep aquasoil from compacting)

Mixed with just enough aquarium water (do not use tap water) to create a paste like aquasoil, you don't want it soupy.
This way it will spread in the tank and not mix with sand and or rock cap.
After adding this aquasoil to my 55g tank, I mixed up a second batch of 16 cups of Black Kow, and 16 cups of Organic Mirical Grow.
Mixed this with aquarium water to a paste. Then added this on top of the previous aqua soil.
Congrats on the tank it looks great! I am thinking I will use a live substrate. I know it's more work but I'm willing to put in the effort and do my research as I go. I did look into different aquasoils and I might make one like you did however caribsea eco complete planted aquarium supposedly doesn't leach any ammonia and would be easier than making one myself. I will probably buy a bag and use my water test kit over a period of a couple days before I make a final decision on substrate. I really like the idea of having a live long term substrate to feed my plants if possible. That canister filter looks promising! I just bought two 350 gph hob filters with biowheels but I might have to switch it up

I would really like to get my moss and other plants flourishing quickly so that I can have a nice carpet and some anubias, ferns etc so that when I do start to add fish they will have plenty of atmosphere and places to hide plus the oxygen and other benefits plants provide.
To get a carpet of plants, read up on the dry start method where you start the plants before you fill the tank with water.

On substrates, understand that plants feed from either the water column or substrates via the roots. For example, Java moss feeds from the water column and will grow on anything.

I am currently cycling a 75 gallon tank, my plan is to primarily use root feeding plants. I used a couple bags of Eco-complete covered with gravel. I hope this eliminates the problem uproot plants as the root system will secure the plants to the gravel substrate.

I also want to avoid dosing the tank with liquid fertilizer, couple issue being how do you measure the amount of fertilizer and my tank will be fully stocked with fish? I hope that using Eco-complete/root tabs will reduce algae growth problems (this is advice from another forum).

Mark

Congrats on the tank it looks great! I am thinking I will use a live substrate. I know it's more work but I'm willing to put in the effort and do my research as I go. I did look into different aquasoils and I might make one like you did however caribsea eco complete planted aquarium supposedly doesn't leach any ammonia and would be easier than making one myself. I will probably buy a bag and use my water test kit over a period of a couple days before I make a final decision on substrate. I really like the idea of having a live long term substrate to feed my plants if possible. That canister filter looks promising! I just bought two 350 gph hob filters with biowheels but I might have to switch it up
The ammonia that the homemade aqua-soil produced really wasn't much of a problem for me. I needed ammonia anyway to properly cycle my aquarium and what better way to supply ammonia than naturally from the aqua-soil. But I had my aquarium fully planted and ready to go before adding fish. The most important thing is patients and not rush too soon to add fish before everything is ready for them. This so far over the past five years of fish keeping has been my most successful aquarium, with losing only a couple of tetras due to bullying by the Angelfish. In my previous attempts, I lost so many fish, I was so depressed I almost gave up. But this aquarium rejuvenated my desire to keep fish.

Sand is much easier to maintain than gravel, IME....gravel holds all sorts of nasties

I just use this stuff, inert, inexpensive, looks good, and grows plants just fine

Sand is much easier to maintain than gravel, IME....gravel holds all sorts of nasties

I just use this stuff, inert, inexpensive, looks good, and grows plants just fine

True to what you are saying about the difference between sand and gravel, however, in my experience I have learned that you pick your battles.
Do I want my aquarium to look like this
Algae in 20 long 9-7-20.jpg

Or do I want my aquarium to look like this.
55 gallon Tank 1-29-21.jpg

I used sand for four years and throughout that entire time, I fought algae. Twice I did deep cleanings taking everything out plants and all scrubbing the algae off but still, it came back worst than before. I finally just gave up hence the first picture above. What I believe is that the white sand was reflecting and amplifying the light and creating a real problem with algae. Sand is also silica based which diatom algae loves.

I tried Back Diamon Blasting Sand, but found the fine grain powder I used packed so tightly that I could not get plants through it and the four Amazon Sword plants I tried to grow in the BDBS never stood a chance just wilted away and died. Amazon Swords have always been my most successful plants.

But when I tried using pea pebbles, I had great success with my aquarium. I never really seen the problems with algae as I had before using sand, and yes it does collect a lot of muck and debris but then that is what the thick plants love as nutrients replenishing the aqua-soil below. I have never really had any problems with the pea pebbles. Some will say and it is a very popular thing to say, sand only for cories because gravel hurts their barbles. I have not found that to be the case with my cories as seen in the picture below.
Cories' Wihiskers image 1.jpg

So pick your battles when it comes to the type of substrate used. Use your favorite sand, BDBS, Pea pebbles, or some expensive stuff found in pet stores and online.

Agreed.
Every tank is different, every water source is different, what works for some may not work for others.
It keeps the hobby interesting, IMO

Most reactions

Back