Starlight Or White Seam Bristlenose?

goldfish261

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've kept fish for i dont know how long, but recently have become hooked on on plec's and BN's. A year or so ago i was lucky enough to buy 6 L183's from my lfs cheap, as they came mixed in with a shipment of common BN's without the owner realising. I bought them all for £3.99 each at about an inch long. I initially bought them not knowing what they were and buying them as they stood out from the rest with their jet black colour and vivid white dots with white edges to their fins. They are all still alive and kicking and are now between 4-5 inches long, living quite happily in my community tank.

After doing a bit of research i've noticed that they are not particularly common and are worth a lot more than what i bought them for (and so they should be, striking little fish!). I have bred fish in the past and would really like to breed these little beauties, so have been busy reading other members advice on this! The only thing that confuses me are the names, i've heard them called Starlights, White Seam and peppered BN's. With what i can gather the starlights dont have a white edge to their fins, were the white seams do? The reason why i query this is because when i first bought them they all had white seams to their fins as well as their white spots. Now they have grown and i presume matured, they have lost their white edges but kept their spots! So do the two names refer perhaps to the stages of developement, or actual species or sub-species of this BN?

If anyone can shed any light on this i would be most grateful and hopefully put my mind at rest as to what fish i actually have.

Many Thanks, LungfishUK.

Post some piccys...

It looks like I actually had 2 females and a male... I've now only got 2 both have limited bristles and get plump every o often...

If you have a male - I'd be up for buying one ;)

Most reactions

Back