Stackable tanks

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gamegurl564

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Heya gang
Just prowling the night and wishing I had more tanks.
The only way I could fit more in my room is like a rack maybe that could hold two or three.
Does anyone have such a thing going?
What kind of rack should I look for.
Price is an issue but my friend is really good at finding free cheap stuff.
Thanks in advance
It would be so cool if I could move my female betta in there and maybe another small tank

You can build metal or wood stands or buy them from a hardware store. Just get something that has adjustable shelves and each shelf should be able to easily hold the entire weight of the aquarium. I like stands to be able to hold double the weight of the tanks.

Our local hardware chain has these stands. Most hardware stores get similar things.

If you have a degree of stacking, make sure you can easily get your hand in to work on the tanks. If they are too close together, top to bottom, as old bookcases tend to be, you can't do what's needed and the project falls apart quickly.

As a bachelor years ago, I lived in an apartment, that was an old house split into a few apartments, back then I didn’t have a lot of stuff, and there were a few closets I had no use for… I made stands out of 4”X 8”X 16” blocks, and 2X12’s cut the width of the closets, and stacked 4 - 10 gallon tanks up behind the door frame, so the door could close without hitting them… I left the doors open, or pulled the hinge pins… I had 8 tanks set up that way between 2 unused closets… now I’m old, and need the closet space, but back then, that worked quite nicely, as cheap, strong, and didn’t look bad, as they were only visible from the front… the 16 inch block provided enough height for the 10 gallon tanks, to work on them

Last edited:
I started with tanks at age 52. I had under tanks a few inches from the floor. Impossible to vac easily. I used to call them belly tanks because I would lie on my stomach on the floor to be able to watch the fish well. I used to sit cross legged on the floor to do maint. Initially I could stand up from being cross legged, but not too long after that ability left me.

So I changed my approach. The 1st rule was the bottom of an under tank had to be at least 12 inches above the floor. The second rule was there had to be 12 -18 inches above the under tank to the bottom of the top shelf. I wanted lot of room to be able to work on the under tank. Rule 3 was to avoid needing ladders and stools (except to sit on) as much as possible for working in tanks so, all racks held only 2 tanks. Despite that, my 2 x 6 foot tanks and 1 of 2 75 gals. need ladders or stools to work on them. especially to reach the bottom.

I have had 20-28 tanks arranged around the house this way for 20+ years until I started to ramp back down. Those rules have made life a lot easier since now I am a bit older.

edited for tai pos :p

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back