Spotted leaf fish

DMan99

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey

I went to my lfs yestuday and they had a spotted leaf fish, i cant find a latin name for it though so anyone with any details would be appreciated!

dman

Nope!

It's not a catfish. It's base colour is yellow and it has brownish dots all over it. They were acting like normal leaf fish, for example standing vertically in the tank. The body shape is also similar but ive not heard of it before!!

thanks
dman

You might want to ask CFC, but (I might be completely on the wrong track) I think you might be speaking of "polycentrus punctatus".

Leaf fishes are from the Nandidae family of fishes, all are predators that use their shape and camoflaged markings to sneak up on unsuspecting smaller fishes. A spotted leaf fish is as suggested likely to be Polycentrus punctatus; Schomburgs leaf fish, though with LFS naming this cannot be taken as given. Also check out climbing perches which are often known as bush fishes and have a similar body shape and hunting habbits to leaf fishes, here is a profile for the spotted climbing perch Ctenopoma acutirostre http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=41710

Thanks CFC and cometcattle,

it is definately not the perch, it looks similar to the leaf fish you posted a link to cometcattle, the juvenile i saw is different to that picture but i could imagine it growing up to be like that.

Thanks, thats solved my problems, im not actually going to buy any because of my oscar but at least i know a little more about them now!

dman

EDIT: thanks bloozoo2 aswel

Most reactions

Back