Sponge Filter

steve620

Reaction score
I have a sponge filter in two of my tanks, I've had one in my (15 Fish ) 75gal tank for about 4 months and one small one in a ( 3 Fish ) 10 gal tank for about 2 months, They don't look dirty at all. is this normal?

I have a sponge filter in two of my tanks, I've had one in my (15 Fish ) 75gal tank for about 4 months and one small one in a ( 3 Fish ) 10 gal tank for about 2 months, They don't look dirty at all. is this normal?
Can I start by asking a few things

1. What type of filters do you have?
2. What fish do you have in both tanks?
3. What filter media do you use in both filters?
4. Might seem a bit obvious but are you sure they are working correctly? Have you tried lifting spray bar / output out of the water to see how much the filters are actually outputting?

75Gal Tank
Two Xpertmatic Internal Sponge Filters.
Sump w/socks
15 Cichlids
Lava rock for media

10 gal Tank
1 big sponge filter
3 small Cichlids
No Media in this tank

the sponge filter i have collect debris in the grooves of the sponge. not always visible.

the sponge filter i have collect debris in the grooves of the sponge. not always visible.
Thats right , not visible when you are just looking from outside of the tank.
The moment you lift it and squish the sponge in a bucket (with the original tank water of course) then only you will know how dirty the sponge filter is.

Thats right , not visible when you are just looking from outside of the tank.
The moment you lift it and squish the sponge in a bucket (with the original tank water of course) then only you will know how dirty the sponge filter is.
This.

Most reactions

Back