Special Delivery Fish

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, i just wanted to get some advice before i go ahead with it tomorrow.

On the Post Office website it says it is illegal to send adult fish but it's fine to send live fry as long as i mark the box with 'Live Creatures - URGENT', i will send it by next day special delivery so writing that on the box isn't going to get them to there destination any quicker i don't think so i'm thinking that might be saying this so they can have a look and see if anything illegal is been posted, needless to say it won't be fry that i'm sending. So do you think i should give the 'Live Creatures - URGENT' sticker a miss. The fish will be in a poly box, newspaper, bubblewrap, it will be wrapped in brown paper and have fragile stickers on it, they are sub-tropical fish so should be fine without a heat pack.

Any feedback would be good, thanks.

Well, whenever I've got fish they've been marked with something like 'live aquatic supplies', the same applies with plants so I doubt they would open it and check.

Well, whenever I've got fish they've been marked with something like 'live aquatic supplies', the same applies with plants so I doubt they would open it and check.

sent via royal mail?

We often send ceramics out via royal mail from work and sometimes it appears they have read "Fragile" as "football".....

RM staff are fantastic IMO hell of a lot better than other delivery companies. I find the only time delicates get broke is when the packaging is less than ideal.
When my Nana passed I had loads of Porcelain figurines to get rid of (and very delicate they were too!) and every single one got to it's new home intact :)

Now I suspect you won't be covered for livestock if something goes wrong..

Whenever i send fish via the post i double bag each fish bag/then wrap in newspaper a few times,then bubblewrap and cram box full of newspaper,but i have always used a heat pack which i place on the bottom inside of the box....

Then i write on the side of the box.........Live tropical fish fry......even when there adult's........it's an odd thing as you can send fry through the post without a problem, but have you seen a shark fry :lol:

serious though just stat it on the box, you will probally get questioned but it's the cashier's curiousity....

Also make sure you state you want next day before 1pm garentee'd......usually costs me around 8-10pounds, depends on the weight...

why not do it properly and within the law & find a courier that has an animal welfare transport licence for live fish?... which incidentally the post office do not have & that is why they dont do it.

why not do it properly and within the law & find a courier that has an animal welfare transport licence for live fish?... which incidentally the post office do not have & that is why they dont do it.

yeh i'm going with APC, the package is over 2 KG so RM is actually more expensive.

Most reactions

Back