Sparkling Gourami Vs Threadfin Rainbow

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Which fish do you think would be better suited to a tank with harlequin rasbora and corys?

• Sparkling Gourami

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Threadfin Rainbowfish

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

haleem8777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a tank with corys (4) and harlequins(6) but i want another fish to add color or just a different shape to the tank but i dont know which fish would be the best from the 2 above so i decided to ask. so what do you think and why 

If it were me I'd get 3-4 sparkling gouramis and some more Harley's and cories.
How big is the tank?

id say gourami as im not keen on two types of schooling fish in a tank.

Hmm, gotta say gourami as they are more suited to your stocking with corys and harlequins.

I actually keep a single species tank with 15 Threadfin Rainbowfish with shrimps and snails.

Fantastic as they are really thriving but not so sure they would like bigger fish around in the same tank as they are quite easily spooked and school tightly when unsual things happens like me shutting cabinet door a bit too hard but quickly relaxes though and back to their normal selves.

I had all sorts of issues with my sparklers in a 54litre picking and chasing away my green neon rasboras - also leaving some nasty eye enucleation battle wounds :/

Shelster said:
I had all sorts of issues with my sparklers in a 54litre picking and chasing away my green neon rasboras - also leaving some nasty eye enucleation battle wounds
confused.gif
i never knew such little gouramis could be so aggressive.

the reason i want them is i want another fish in the tank that is different and not just a shoal-er.
Is there any other fish similar to the gourami

haleem8777 said:

I had all sorts of issues with my sparklers in a 54litre picking and chasing away my green neon rasboras - also leaving some nasty eye enucleation battle wounds
confused.gif
i never knew such little gouramis could be so aggressive.

the reason i want them is i want another fish in the tank that is different and not just a shoal-er.
Is there any other fish similar to the gourami

Perhaps a wild betta of some sort? I would recommend the betta imbellis. Being an anabantid, they are fairly similar in behaviour to gouramis. They are also easier to come by than other wild betta strains.

A betta splenden would also be an option if you happened to come across a fairly placid one.

the betta inbellis is very nice but i dont think my LFS can get them in

yea but i suggest you do alot of research, wildbetta arent meant to be kept in communties really, id ask Wildbetta for advice though.

i dont think i can get the betta anyway so it will be the sparkling gourami

ncguppy830 said:
yea but i suggest you do alot of research, wildbetta arent meant to be kept in communties really, id ask Wildbetta for advice though.
I don't see why not? bettas and harlequins are both at home in soft acidic waters so water chemistry won't be a problem and some are quite peaceful (like the imbellis) so aggression wouldn't be a problem either.

Most people keep wild bettas in smaller tanks so a community isn't really an option but if you've got the space, why not? I think its just a case of finding species that live in similar environments to them really.

wrightt3 said:

I don't see why not? bettas and harlequins are both at home in soft acidic waters so water chemistry won't be a problem and some are quite peaceful (like the imbellis) so aggression wouldn't be a problem either.

Most people keep wild bettas in smaller tanks so a community isn't really an option but if you've got the space, why not? I think its just a case of finding species that live in similar environments to them really.
it hasnt been recorded and after speeking with someone with experience on the subject they didnt reccomend it.

I don't mean to put you off, sparklers are a lovely fish and its the first time I've had a problem like that. Many keep them with no issues.

Sorry, it may be the time of night, but I can't see what size your tank is? - what about honey gourami? (As in my profile & sig pics)

Most reactions

Back