South East Queensland Aquarium Society Collecting Trip (rock Pools)

pkc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A day that should have been a complete dud,ended up being a good day,even with the bad weather,we were able to fit the visit to the pools in with out getting wet,well maybe from the knees down!

We got there one after the other from 11.00 on, Danny the club pres was first dropped off by his other half, than myself and my other half after visiting my father at Maroochydore, some more clubbies and the last was Kit.

The tide was very low, so straight away we were into checking out the area for some algae, clean up crews and fish food.

The clean up crews we find there are made up of several types of snails including limpets, yellow clawed small hermit crabs, lawn mower blennies, that type of thing.

Danny brought up an interesting point, he used to use limpets for bait while living on Stradbroke Island in days gone by, and any thing that is excellent bait is also good fish food, so I got some to give it a whirl.

The conspict in Marks marine swimming pool should like the Cunjivoe and the limpets we got, hopefully?It would be great to give such a beautiful fish a treat!

The surf was a bit full on and the water not that clear, but for keen collectors and fish food fossickers, that was no problem.

We got some nice caulerpa, coralline algae, a few lawnmower blennies a shrimp or two, Cunjivoe and some molluscs, and had lots of good fun, adventure, marine creature education and our hobby very much enhanced.

After a long low tide hunt it was time for lunch and just before it rained we headed home.

360 degree video of the spot.

The beaches here are very nice.
south-.jpg

Danny collecting some cnjivoe.
danny-.jpg

The clubbies searching for their catches.
the-group-.jpg

A few of the lawn mower blennies seen on the day.
blennies-.jpg

Some algaes from the area.
algaes-.jpg

xenia here is quite abundant,blue and grey!
xenia-.jpg

A couple of pics of the beautiful rock formations at this spot.
cliff-over-hang-.jpg

cliffs-.jpg

Great pics and gotta admit..JEALOUS!!!!!!!! lol...
Must be nice to simply go to the beach and collect what we pay big money for here....those xenia beds ....WoW!!!!!!
Go rock pooling here in N Ireland normally results in catching pneumonia or at least a ### good cold,lol.....
Buddy

if any one here is in the Queensland south east on holiday in the future,contact use first and we will let you know of some nice spots to enjoy while here.

Most reactions

Back