South Carolina Coastal Pest Anemone Tank

Monochrome5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been asked by a few people to start a thread here about my 2 US Gallon Fluval Spec. It's not your typical SW tank - this tank is stuffed to the gills (pun intended) with South Carolina coastal pest anemones. That's right - a tank with several different species of aiptasia, actinaria, and majano anemones. The tank also houses a very unique crab named Melvin. Melvin is a dwarf box crab - extremely predatory and a total blast to keep. He buries himself into the substrate with only his red eyes exposed then pounces on any passing morsel. All organisms in this tank have been WILD CAUGHT here on the Charleston, South Carolina coast. Before everyone yells at me know that I have done it all legally. I am a marine biologist and have a research collection license that allows me to pick up anything I want :)

And of course a few pictures of the tank and it's inhabitants:

FTS 7/21/2011
DSC_0001-2.jpg

FTS 6/23/2011
DSC_0033.jpg

Mystery Anemone (Beadlet Actinaria of some kind)
DSC_0010-1.jpg

Long Tentacle Aiptasia
DSC_0009-1.jpg

Melvin the Dwarf Box Crab
DSC_0007-1.jpg

Melvin again (in front of a gelatinous bryazoan)
DSC_0086.jpg

Red Majano
DSC_0025.jpg

Banded Aiptasia
DSC_0011.jpg

What a great tank. Can you get a video of melvin feeding for us?

Nice little tank and those pest anemones look beautiful (something I never thought I would say)

Awesome little tank, and good to see a different angle!

What a great tank. Can you get a video of melvin feeding for us?

Haha everyone keeps asking for them! I don't have a video camera, but hopefully that will change soon. After all... my birthday is August 11th. Someone should buy me one :D

No, a video camera is not in the package I'm sending you. :p

Most reactions

Back