Sorting Out Dominance...how Long?

leah00

Reaction score
Ok, yesterday I added my new severum to my 75 gallon that had two firemouths in it already. Today I've noticed some chasing and nipping. The "mean" firemouth has been chasing the other firemouth and the severum all day. The sev chases the other firemouth but runs from the mean one. The two firemouths have been flaring and circling each other all day too. They used to chase each other a little bit before but none of this circling stuff until I added the sev.
How long does it usually take before they settle down into their places? When should I start worrying?

Here's a picture of the "nice" firemouth and the sev in the background.

DSCF1381.jpg

See the firemouth's split tail? I don't know why it's like that but I don't think it's caused by the other firemouth. It's been like that since I bought him and it's never gotten any better or worse. Could he have just been born like that?

Its going to sound absoloutly stupid but when we figure out who a bully is we put it in a floater like everytime its naughty just like a child weve done it twice now once with a firemouth and then with a convict..im tellin yah they learn..and dominance will take a fiew days just watch with a small torch at night when lights are out to see if you catch a bully. we have a firemouth that had split fin wen bought it and its still the same two years on.

will happen until the sev either learns to keep out of the dominamt firemouths way or decides enough is enough an puts it in its place. once the sev grows tho there will be no question of dominance . the firemouth best enjoy it while it can!

You can try the tank re-arrange method. Remove the offending fish (in seperate containers), re-arrange all the decor, plants etc and create different areas in the tank, then place the fish back in, generally you put the less dominant fish in first, then an hour later the bully fish, hopefully this puts them back on an even footing with each other and lessens the problems.

Thanks. :)

Still some chasing today. Now the sev is chasing both firemouths sometimes. The dominant firemouth still chases the sev too though. The severum goes nuts at feeding time. Nobody better get in his way then!

Most reactions

Back