Something Other Than Fish For My Aquarium :)

annaw123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 90 litre aquarium with 3 Bolivian rams, 4 Harlequin rasboras and 3 Peppered catfish ... but i really want something interesting as a new addition - that isnt a fish! :)
i already have an african clawed frog in a seperate tank due to his size, and preying on my fish!
any advice and tips on what i could get that wouldn't harm my fish would be brilliant :)
thankyou in advance!

How about some Amano Shrimp or an Apple Snail?

James.

well i've got some baby apple snails that came in accidentally on one of the plants i purchased growing at the minute, so i will have a few of those shortly! :) thanks for the reply x

How about some golden apple snails? I find mine really interesting and a lot of fun to watch. They roll the moss balls around, eat from my hand and sometimes bomb around at about 40 miles an hour!

Edit:

Oops looks like I took too long typing that, there's been other replies since and now it looks like I'm repeating everything!

Thankyou, i'm already finding my babies interesting to watch! They are pretty tiny at the minute, and being fed on algae wafers, do you have any idea how quickly they grow? :) i'm hoping to get them big enough to put back in the main aquarium, but i'm not sure how quickly they grow! thanks :)

I know you said no fish, but upping the number of rasboras would be a good idea. They shoal better and act more naturally when there are more of them. I think you'd probably like it :)

Aside from that... have you thought about starting 'aquascaping'. Ie. pre planning exactly how you want the tank to look. Buying everything you need... plants, rocks, wood etc. And then setting it all out nicely. It's good cause whenever you get bored of the tank you can completely redecorate.
It looks brand new and interesting again (the fish have to establish new territories and such so treat it like a new tank), but it doesn't require any new/change of fish.

Apple snails grow in proportion to the temperature they're kept at and the quality/amount of food they're fed. If they're fed a decent amount and kept around 25C then they can be fully grown in just a few months.

increasing the number of rasboras would probably be good actually! :) there are only 4 of them, 3 are quite small but the aquarium owner managed to net one HUGE one that looks quite out of place really! :p and the aquascaping also sounds like a really good idea! :) thankyou, very helpful!

Hi,

I used to have Dwarf Aquatic frogs. They were awesome! They did really well in my community tank and were very interesting to watch. I also find Amano shrimps to be quite the characters too!

I really like apple snails myself. When the get large enough, make sure to pay attention to the colors and details of their fleshy parts.

Amano shrimp would be a good choice too. If you've never had shrimp before, I would recommend getting some. They have some interesting behavior!

Amano shrimp would be a good choice too. If you've never had shrimp before, I would recommend getting some. They have some interesting behavior!

I agree. Watching them eat makes me jealous that I can't behave like that. Well, not in front of guests....

Most reactions

Back