some things very wrong with my platy

b.c.f.c

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok 2 days ago i did about a 30% water change and every thing seemed fine but about 2 hours later one of my male platys was swimming on its side around the tank.at one point he went mad and scared all the fish in the tank as he was jumping and swimming very fast.his gills are now a bit inflamed and his scales are slightly pointing out like a pine cone.i thought he wss going to die within a couple of hours so i didnt bother posting on here for any help but now his still alive i feel sorry for him and need help.hes got 1 white spot on the side of him,non of the other fish have it and are not rubbing them selves against rocks so i dont think its white spot but i have treated any way.any help would be great thx.ps i havnt got any other meds at hand till i can go to my lfs.

What type of dechlorinator was used? It's added effects? How long have you been using the chemicals and had that fish? Do you have a quarantine tank?

ive had all my platys about 3 months with no illness apart from white spot when i first got them.ive used interpet.and no sorry i havnt got a quarantine.hes eating just not swimming proply,hes spinning around a lot.i have no idea wats wrong. :unsure:

sorry i cant get a pic.hes just swimming on his side and some times spinning.his scales are sticking out like a pine cone and his lost a bit of colour(the red on him has faded).thats all i can rearly describe it as.

b.c.f.c said:
sorry i cant get a pic.hes just swimming on his side and some times spinning.his scales are sticking out like a pine cone and his lost a bit of colour(the red on him has faded).thats all i can rearly describe it as.
The lack of control over his balance in the water is a swimbladder disorder, the pine coning of the scales is dropsy and the white spot could be the start of a fungal infection developing- swimbladder disorders and dropsy are both either internal bacteria in nature or caused by water quality issues and are quite hard to treat with only a 50/50recovery rate at best, having them at the same time does not sound good.
Are you positive the water you used to replace water taken out in the water change was the same temp as the water in the tank and you didn't accidentally pour it directly on any fish?

Yeah, "Pine cone" scales are dropsy. Can you quarintine him? Are any of your other fish looking odd..? I'd keep an eye out

ye the pemp of the water was around 74 75 with my tank temp about 78.hes still swimming on his side with his scales still the same but the white spot on the side of him has gone.all my other fish are fine with no sign of illness.i havnt got a quarintine tank so i surpose i will have to see how he goes.he seems to be doing better than befor as in not swimming on his side as much.what i have noticed is that the other male platy is chasing him a lot almost trying to finish him off.on the good side though both of my female platys are pregnant for the first time so im rearly excited.any ways thx for the help so far its very appriciated.thx :D

i have recently brought my fish from the 11.1 gal tank i was keeping at my mums back to my big tank at mine because they were getting ill and dying. they were getting that pine cone effect and i didn't know what was causing it at all. all my stats were normal and i hadn't changed anything. i still don't know why to this day.

tonight i have spotted one of my two remaning male platies has the pine cone effect and i'm not holding much hope. a week ago he had some fungus on his fin and mouth so i treated him and it was sorted in no time but today i look and he's all spikey!

i don't know.

i will post a pic.

katie

Most reactions

Back