So You Want A Shark?

SandraNewbie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, this comes up A LOT because people like sharks. So here's a first attempt at a quick guide to all the "Sharks" you find around. [Will update with images when I have them and any suggstions welcomed I'm not knowledgeable on lots of these sharks.]

So you want a shark?
Below are descriptions of some of the basic considerations before you decide to buy a shark. More research will be needed to ensure you provide the right habitat for any of these sorts of sharks.

Bala Shark
Synonyms: Silver Shark, Tricolor Shark, Shark Minnow.
Adult size: 10 - 14 in (25 - 36 cm)
Adult tank size minimum: 125 gallons (472 litres) (at least 6' swimming length)
Numbers: 5+
Decor: Tight Lid (jumper), Prefers plenty of vegetation, NO sharp edges in aquarium as it is a darting fish.
Strata: all
Tankmates: other peaceful community fish, too small to be eaten
Life-Span: 8-10 years

Red Tailed Shark
Synonyms: RTB, Red Tail Black Shark, Red Tailed Labeo, Fire Tail, Labeo bicolor
Adult size: 5"-6" (13-15cm)
Adult tank size minimum: Some Debate, 48"
Numbers: Aggressive with own species and some other "sharks"
Decor: Tight Lid (jumper), Some hiding spaces for others recommended
Strata: Middle & Bottom
Tankmates: Larger tropical fish given their aggressive nature but none large enough to eat them. It is not recommended to keep them with the Rainbow Shark unless your tank is sufficiently large.
Life-Span: 5-8 years

Columbian Shark
Synonyms: Silver-tipped Shark, Shark catfish, Bull shark, White Tipped Shark Catfish
Adult size: 12-14"+ (30-35cm) (some specimins 25 inches)
Adult tank size minimum: 7'-10' long, 2'+ wide
Numbers: Can be kept singly prefers to be in groups with appropriately large aquaria
Decor: Large open spaces required, salinity should be raised as the fish ages from full fresh for young to full marine for adults.
Strata: Bottom/lower middle.
Tankmates: fish that like similar water conditions and are big enough to prevent being considered prey. Youngsters (smaller than 12cm) can be kept in alkaline fresh water (with for example rift lake cichlids), but larger fish MUST have salt added to the water in order to thrive. Initially most medium sized active fish, but with the addition of salt to the water as the fish grow, brackish water fish such as Monos, Scats or large Mollies are the order of the day.
Life-Span: 10-15 years

Black Shark (Temperate - not Tropical)
Synonyms: (Shark Koi ~ Seen once in an LFS)
Adult size: 24-36 inches
Adult tank size minimum: 150 gallons+ (I've seen recommended 2,500 US Gallon)
Numbers: 1
Decor: Will destroy live plants, need plenty of natural barriers if any tank mates
Strata: All
Tankmates: Very territorial and aggressive, cannot be kept with anything smaller as it matures. Intolerant of its own species or any similarly-shaped fish.
Life-Span: 20+ Years

Chinese High Fin Shark (Cold Water - Banned in UK)
Synonyms: Chinese High Fin Sucker, Sailfin Sucker, Topsail Sucker, Asian Sucker, Chinese Sucker, Wimple Carp, Freshwater Batfish, Hilsa Herring, Rough Fish
Adult size: 39" (1 metre)
Adult tank size minimum: 1000+ US Gallon
Numbers: 4+
Decor: Open Spaces, hiding spaces with rounded Rocks, Hardy plants for Cover, High water flow with some low flow areas, High Oxygenation
Strata: Bottom
Tankmates: Pond fish (Koi)
Life-Span: 14+ years

Silver Apollo Shark
Synonyms:
Adult size: 6" +
Adult tank size minimum: Disputed 50-180+ USg (190-680L) with 3-6feet minimum swimming length
Decor: Tight lid (Jumper), Provide plants and free swimming room. High flow rate and plenty of aeration
Strata: Middle to Bottom.
Tankmates: Medium Sized fish, other Sharks or Catfish.
Life-Span: 5 – 10 years

Rainbow Shark
Synonyms: Red Fin Shark, Red Shark, Ruby Shark
Adult size: 6" (15cm)
Adult tank size minimum: some debate 48" minimum
Decor: This fish can become aggressive with other, smaller fish in your tank that invade its territory. They will fight with the Red Tail Shark. Provide plenty of hiding places (caves, rocks and plants)
Strata: Bottom & Lower Middle
Tankmates: Because of their temperament it is a good idea to house them with similar sized fish. Do not keep with other Rainbow sharks and Red Tail Sharks
Life-Span: 5-7 years

Harlequin Shark
Synonyms:
Adult size: 6" (15cm)
Adult tank size minimum: some debate 48"
Decor: Tight Lid (jumper), Some hiding spaces for others recommended
Strata: bottom lower middle
Tankmates: Like the RTB and the Rainbow, not to be kept with other similar shaped grazers or large fish.
Life-Span: 5-8 Years

Siamese Flying fox shark
Synonyms: (beware this fish is often confused with the "true flying fox" and the "Siamese Algae Eater")
Adult size: 3.5" (8.5cm)
Adult tank size minimum: 30 Gallons
Numbers: Ok alone, thrive at 5+
Decor: Plenty of plants and rocks to collect algae for this fish to feed off, lare leaved plants to rest on.
Strata: All
Tankmates: Peaceful community fish
Life-Span: 5-10 years

Rosyline Shark
Synonyms: Red Line Torpedo Barb, Roseline Shark
Adult size: 6" (15xm)
Adult tank size minimum: 48" minimum
Numbers: 7+
Decor: Well oxygenated, well filtered, lots of open space
Tankmates: Peaceful Community Fish
Life-Span: 5-7 Years

Cigar Shark
Synonyms: Mad Fish, Mad Barb, Red Finned Cigar Shark, Sultan Fish, River Barb, Gold Shark
Adult size: 39" (1m)
Adult tank size minimum: 10'-12' minimum
Numbers: 6+
Decor: Lots of open space, tight lid (jumpers)
Tankmates: Due to their size and carnivorous nature, these fish should not be housed with anything that will fit in their mouths.
Life-Span: ??

Violet Blushing Shark
Synonyms:
Adult size: 12" (30cm)
Adult tank size minimum: 6'+
Numbers: 1 or 6+
Decor: soft sand substrate in order to protect the mouth area of this species, no sharps, Hiding places amongst rocky caves, bogwood and hardy live plants will be very much appreciated.
Strata: Possibly All?
Tankmates: medium sized species such as Devarios, Botiid loaches, Rainbowfish, Barilius etc. Smaller tankmates are not advised, neither are other members of the Labeo genus (such as Ruby Sharks or Red Tailed Black Sharks
Life-Span: ??

Irridescant Shark
Synonyms:
Adult size: 52" (130cm)
Adult tank size minimum: HUGE (12 metres)
Decor: Lots of space (practically blind)
Strata: Bottom
Tankmates: Not recommended as can startle
Life-Span: 15+

Awesome list! Shows how big these fish actually get! The only shark i'll probably ever own is either a RTBS or a Ruby (rainbow)shark. I'd love to have a tank big enough for some of the others, but i don't see that happening!

I used to love my Columbian Sharks, I had a pair. They actually move to and fro like real sharks in the water. But I had to give them away when they got to big and would eat other fish like adult mollies if hungary. Brackish setup with aquarium salt.

I recently lost my RTBS. She was a healthy old girl and just reached the end of her life span after five years. Their aggressiveness is in my opinion, over blown. They are territorial but incapable of doing much more than aggravating their tankmates. They are often accused of killing other fish but they are scavengers and just happen to be the first on the scene. I would dispute their need for a 48" tank as they need more bottom area than horizontal swimming space. The biggest thing you can do to make them and the rest of the tank happy is to provide several hiding spots like caves and additional cover like plants or decor. The shorter their line of sight the less of the tank they will consider to be "their" territory and defend.

Most reactions

Back