So Im Adding Sand Tomorrow..

chelsiethegreat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
anyone have any tips? i know all the basics about cleaning it and putting it in... but is there anything else i should know?
thanks.

ok cool I have done that myself just a couple of things you may off heard these before but its worth mentioning just encase you have not.

1 Turn of your filter's and power heads as there is a danger although slim that you can get dirt in the spindle and cause damage over time.

2 To reduce the amount of sand from floating down to the bottom I use an old mug and a glass coaster I put the sand (wet from cleaning) in the mug then put the coaster over the top of the mug when you have the mug at the bottom slide the coaster of the top then gently pour the sand.

I have found this just reduces the settle time and sand landing on everything, I have also found this reduces greatly the amount of sand that will be sucked up the gills of any fish in your tank especially when you top the sand up as you will loose some over a period of time.

Hope this helps regards onebto.

i have heard all of those things, friend. i think i am ready :) thanks!

keep an eye on your water afterwards. I changed to sand last week and I'm now back to dealing with ammonia in my water. It's caused a mini cycle - I can get rid of it with water changes so it's no big deal but I just wanted to warn you you may get one too.

I trickled in some water with my hosepipe at the same time as adding the sand - it seemed to make it easier and less messy

Good luck with it :)

Most reactions

Back