So I Bought A Co2 System

MrNiceGuy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i bought this system on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230369514605

it hasn't arrived yet... but i figured i should ask my questions now. what should i know going into this? i hear its pretty easy to setup. i have a pretty well planted 20 gallon aquarium and i want to get some real growing action goin.

i hear theres something i need to replace monthly to keep the co2 goin. they sell these replacement things but i hear i can setup some diy type of work to keep costs down.

obviously i don't really know too much about this, can anyone help me out?

my advice would be:

ignore the ingredients they give you (activatior and stabilizer)

instead add standard sugar up to the first line. then add half a teaspoon of standard bakers yeast. (if you have very soft water you may want to add the stabilizer, it stops the a possible pH crash)

fill up to the top line with warm water. screw on the lid, put your finger on the hole and shake well. attach the tubing and put the tubing onto the bottom of the diffuser.

after about 2 hours you will see bubbles appearing. they may get stuck up the ladder but eventually will flow easily.

you will probably have to replace the mixture about every month, depending on when the bubbles start slowing down.

Change the mixture weekly for consistent output, I would buy another canister and a proper ceramic diffuser, and alternate when you change the mixture, that way you get more efficient diffusion and a more consistent output.

Ive been running 2 of these on my 55 gallon tank.

So a ceramic diffuser is better then the one that is provided with the kit?

Yes a ceramic diffuser is better, to be honest, on a 55 gallon there really isn't any point, to get to levels of CO2 that are going to be of benefit you're going to need a lot of units!

i had one of these ages ago, the ladders are rubbish so i brought a little diffuser which was alot better. Also just use sugar and yeast, works far far better.
Ben.

Yes a ceramic diffuser is better, to be honest, on a 55 gallon there really isn't any point, to get to levels of CO2 that are going to be of benefit you're going to need a lot of units!

Now this i did not know!

So basically right now, the plant growth that i do get really isnt getting any help by the 2 kits ive got going?
Less hassle to just take both down?

Yup, just dont have the spare cash and i dont know where to find a co2 extinguisher cheap locally.

Most reactions

Back