Snails

magicthise

Reaction score
Hi,

This morning I found a tiny snail in my tank. It is small and white, , it's shell is still slightly transparent, looks like it is almost newborn.

I haven't added anything new to the tank for nearly three weeks (added some bogwood for my bristlenose plec three weeks ago), so it has just "magically" appeared out of nowhere.

I have a planted tank, around 69 litres with eight red eye tetra's and the bristlenose. Will it do any harm to leave the snail in or should I remove it immediately? Will it be harmful or beneficial to the tank?

As far as I can tell there is just one at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Magic

if its a common snail, expect a few hundred more shortly

Hi,

This morning I found a tiny snail in my tank. It is small and white, , it's shell is still slightly transparent, looks like it is almost newborn.

I haven't added anything new to the tank for nearly three weeks (added some bogwood for my bristlenose plec three weeks ago), so it has just "magically" appeared out of nowhere.

I have a planted tank, around 69 litres with eight red eye tetra's and the bristlenose. Will it do any harm to leave the snail in or should I remove it immediately? Will it be harmful or beneficial to the tank?

As far as I can tell there is just one at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Magic

In general, snails are not harmful to the tank. They add some biomass and therefore waste products, but a single snail doesn't impact it much.

Their biggest issue is that most of them reproduce like crazy. At least this is true of most common snails that arrive as contaminants. Most people find them pests and you should remove it quickly if you are in that camp.

If you want a snail, get a single apple snail. They wont' reproduce without a companion.

If you want a snail, get a single apple snail. They wont' reproduce without a companion.
Blimey, are you saying that common snails can reproduce without a companion? I recently saw a small snail in my tank. I figured since it was the only one it wont do much harm. Now I'm a bit scared since I have heard of horror stories on these forums of tanks being overrun by snails. I haven't seen the snail for quite some time. How can I rid my tank of the few that might be there? I reckon it will be easier now than later

How can I rid my tank of the few that might be there? I reckon it will be easier now than later

Squish the ones you see against the glass... or buy some botia, best move I ever did !

Thanks Rooster. Seems that the botia is a kind of a loach. I was keen on having clown loaches but I was told that my 65ltr is too small for that. Can a 65ltr (approx 17 gal) accommodate a botia?

hey fmervin.....
i have a tank that takes approx 40 litres and i have a few rainbows, bristlenoses and a clown loach....
they are great for keeping the snails at bay....another good one is the pakistan loach - they'll eat all the snails for breakfast.....both are very hardy and are really cute...

i have a tank that takes approx 40 litres and i have a few rainbows, bristlenoses and a clown loach....
Really :) A clown loach in a 40 ltr? I was told that clown loaches tend to get quite big and require at last a 50gal tank. Also since they prefer to be in company, at least 2 were required. My lfs refused to sell those to me :(

another good one is the pakistan loach - they'll eat all the snails for breakfast.....both are very hardy and are really cute...
Never heard of a pakistan loach but I'll check with my lfs and see if they stock those

Thanks for the info :)

hey fmervin.....
they are great for keeping the snails at bay....another good one is the pakistan loach - they'll eat all the snails for breakfast.....both are very hardy and are really cute...
i hope you are getting a much bigger tank very soon......

hey fmervin.....

I love your picture!! Groovy

Thanks Rooster. Seems that the botia is a kind of a loach. I was keen on having clown loaches but I was told that my 65ltr is too small for that. Can a 65ltr (approx 17 gal) accommodate a botia?

There are smaller varieties than the "clown" although, if you plan on getting a larger tank in the future clowns are quite slow growing !
they also like a few friends, say a minimun of 4, so your present tank will be too small... I'd have a look at the smaller varieties - I have Zebra Loach (Botia striata) in my 4 foot tank, and they are only about 40mm...

There are chemical solutions - both commercial and home brew, but Im my experience you cant whack nature ! lol

I have Zebra Loach (Botia striata) in my 4 foot tank, and they are only about 40mm...
Sounds like a zebra loach should be perfect for my tank. Do they also need to be in groups? If so, how many do you recommend? Do most lfs stock these?

There are chemical solutions - both commercial and home brew, but Im my experience you cant whack nature ! lol
I quite agree :)

Most reactions

Back