Snails, How To Get Rid Of?!

TetraFin

Reaction score
I seem to slowly be breeding snails in my tank, I was wondering of the best way to get rid of them? Obviously I pluck them out when I can see them, but for every one I take out 2 more appear! I have been tempted to find out about assasin snails, but would I then just have a different breed of snail breeding in my tank? Khuli leaches are out too, I just dont fancy them in my tank. Many thanks!

Looks like your stuck with picking them out then, thats what I do and to be honest after a while they will go.

If they are small snails don't bother with an assassin snail as he can't eat them. There is an esha treatment that will obliterate them but you will have to remove shrimps from the tank and keep them out for about a month.

i had hundreds in my fluval edge all tiny in size, i added a few assasins, now i have about 20 assasins and no thers :), at least the assasins are better looking.

I added three clown loaches - did the trick. They are wonderful fun as well.

Add one of these if your tank is not very large or more if it's a good size

Zebra Loach (a.k.a. pest snail terminator!)

zebraloach.jpg

We have an infestation at the moment and my local fish store didn't have any assassin snails.

Can these be ordered online?

How many snails should i get to do the job?

I have just ordered two snails from http://its-a-fishy-buziness.co.uk

what a stunning website

(sarcasm)

i especially love the use of the letter "z", quality.

i have ordered off them several times, mainly plants and plants with bogwood etc, also got a blue apple snail and a few assasins, they are a great company and brilliant support if needed.

I had a terrible pest snail problem recently and bought 3 assassin snails and done two 90% water changes with a good gravel clean and they are all but gone. There's maybe 1 or 2 left in the tank, but the assassin snails seem to be doing their job.

Well the snails arrived, they have done a fantastic job at "disposing" of the snails.

There are loads of empty shells at the bottom of the tank. Will a gravel vacuum suck them up?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back