Snails, Good Or Evil?

LankyLettuce

Reaction score
I bought 3 plants for my tank the other day. Which subsequently died but they also came with snail eggs which I was not aware of! Now I've heard mixed opinions about the snails some say they are good for cleaning and others say only specific ones are ok for cleaning? They are breeding like mad too! Could someone tell me the deal with them please?
Thanks
Sam

What ever you do, DONT use chemicals if you decide to get rid of them. I love snails but its personal opinion whether you keep them or not. :blink:

I went looking for an assasin snail today cos I'm getting really bored of squishing snails lol ... came home empty handed though (well not completely empty handed - see my new thread for explaination!)

I went looking for an assasin snail today cos I'm getting really bored of squishing snails lol ... came home empty handed though (well not completely empty handed - see my new thread for explaination!)
Lol that was a expensive trip for a snail

So you can get a chemical to kill them? Is it safe to use with fosh? Or is it better get another type of snail to eat them?

A assassin snail or remove them yourself, but getting a snail eating fish is a bad idea as well as using chemicals. :no:

Snails, Good Or Evil?

I just don't like the look of them. The only type I want to get is the nerite types(if my spelling is correct)

I got infested with them via some plants.
I started removing them by hand everytime I saw one. It's a pain, it takes several weeks. I was removing 20 at a time sometimes. I haven't seen one in a couple of weeks now. Have no idea where they disappeared, or I killed them to the last one :lol:
I did somehow manage to move some snails accidentally to the fry tank, but they've been left to clear up for a while and I'll start removing them from there too.

I've looked at some assasin snails to buy online which are t too expensive really! I think I'll have to invest in some! So far I've resorted to squashing the eggs I see! :/

Lol that was a expensive trip for a snail

Indeed! But it's put a big grin on my face :hyper: ... not sure buying a snail would've achieved the same grin, assasin snail or otherwise lol

Pest snail topic is covered on here weekly so in short, if there multiplying then your overfeeding. snails do not eat poo, there has to be a food source for them to breed :good:

I've only just put fish in my tank though, I've been doing a fish less cycle :/

Depending on how many plants tank size you may have alot of snail sacks in with plants, how many is loads of snails, if you dont feed them they will just die off. In my 60L shrimp tank i can count maybe 8-14 at any one time never seen more in over w year if you can keep the numbers down it a good thing for the tank :good:

Well I've just put in 5 glow light tetras today so that'll help the snail population :/ I'm not to sure on stocking yet probably 5 other tetras and two BN plecs! :)

Most reactions

Back