Snails For Puffers

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Derpeder

Reaction score
For those of you that breed snails. How often do they have new little baby snails? I heard that they reproduce a lot so i went out and bought some and I'm wondering when I can expect some baby snails.

Obviously puffers love them and I am pretty much out of the small snails to feed them and I have left the large snails to reproduce.

Let me know what I should look for as far eggs or behavior, and time.

Peace

After about 3 weeks you will probably see dozens of itty bitty snails! I have been thru snail populations, population destructions, and repopulating again. I have the common pond snails I believe, and I let them populate for my dwarfpuffer (which are freshwater, not brackish) and have lost my population a couple of times from fry eating eggs, and neons eating eggs, but they always bounce back fairly quickly. Any that get bigger I drop in for my clown loaches. HTH

I hope you are not expecting to breed them in the tank with the puffer, they won't have a chance. That being said, they breed like rabbits (quite rapidly) if you can give them a tank all their own that will be best. I get the common snails that most people are always trying to get rid of, my LFS gives them to me for free. I keep them in a 5 gallon tank with a bit of cucumber or shredded vegetable, they like lettuce too or fish flakes, basically they'll eat anything. Just put 10 or 15 in and within a few weeks time you'll have snails crawling all over the place. Then select a few of the biggest and feed them to puffer. if you run out before they get big enough, go back to LFS and ask for more they're usually all to happy to give them to you for free, and as many as you will take. hope that helps

as I scroll down and read your question, expect a continual flow of feeders after a few weeks or so, no special behavior to look for, they'll breed without any help.

Good Luck

SLC

I hope you are not expecting to breed them in the tank with the puffer, they won't have a chance. That being said, they breed like rabbits (quite rapidly) if you can give them a tank all their own that will be best. I get the common snails that most people are always trying to get rid of, my LFS gives them to me for free. I keep them in a 5 gallon tank with a bit of cucumber or shredded vegetable, they like lettuce too or fish flakes, basically they'll eat anything. Just put 10 or 15 in and within a few weeks time you'll have snails crawling all over the place. Then select a few of the biggest and feed them to puffer. if you run out before they get big enough, go back to LFS and ask for more they're usually all to happy to give them to you for free, and as many as you will take. hope that helps

as I scroll down and read your question, expect a continual flow of feeders after a few weeks or so, no special behavior to look for, they'll breed without any help.

Good Luck

SLC

Just to add that you should have a small filter as well for their tank since the large number of snails will also produce large quantities of waste!

Yes, forgot to add that, thanks for the catch!

SLC

Also,

Make sure to pick the LFS you get snails from very carefully, you don't want to introduce disease into the tank. This goes for any live food you get.

I put my snails in my community tank for my puffer and they reproduce fast. Now that my puffer is larger and can handle larger snails I try to get the larger ones. My snails all died when I have to empty out my tank to move it for my living room rug to be replaced, but I just got a whole bunch for free from my lfs, so hope they reproduce fast, since I need larger ones for my puffer.

Most reactions

Back