Snail Options For Betta Tanks

AlitaConejita

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I don't particularly care about algae eating - my tanks don't have any algae (unless you count the moss balls which I was told were a type of algae). 

I would like a pretty snail in each side of my divided 10g tank.

Can you guys recommend snails to meet this criteria (I don't know anything about snails so some of these points may be dumb/mute): Oh, and let me know if I should be posting this in a different forum.

• Most obvious: compatible with betta/tank :p
    won't get eaten by betta
  • won't hurt betta
  • can handle pH of around 7.6
  • can handle temps of 80-84 F
  • is OK with low light conditions
  • eats something that my bettas WON'T eat (had this issue with ADF)

[*]Pretty!
  • noticable in the tank
  • can be considered a decoration
  • comes in many colors or striking colors

[*]Won't kill plants
  • Moss ball
  • Java moss
  • Java ferns

[*]Won't overpopulate the tank
  • If I have 2 snails of the same type but on separate sides of a divider, can they procreate?
  • In a cycled 10 gal with 2 bettas, how many snails can be kept? (what do I do if they procreate beyond the acceptable parameters?)

I've googled snails but I've gotten contradictory information, but I trust you guys to give me the right info :) I'm on Day 7 of cycling my 10 gal tank, so I have time before getting the snails, but I want to have them in the tank before I put in the bettas since I've read that might help reduce aggression towards the snail (territory stuff).

Nerite snails would be ideal quite pretty for a snail here's an image of a Zebra nerite

(would say the commonest one available though others are available)

%D7%98%D7%99%D7%99%D7%92%D7%A8.jpg

although they will mate and lay eggs they require a percentage of saline water for their young to grow, they eat Algae but not your plants

I agree with KirkyArcher.

Zebra Snails!

I have two and have had no problems and they are aesthetically pleasing i find.

I have two nerites in a 6.6 gallon tank with one betta.  Nerites are good because their eggs won't hatch/grow properly in freshwater.  And they are pretty!

So I agree with the others, nerites would be great for you.  They come in many designs and colors, but the zebra is one of the most popular.

I have heard some nerites have hatched in freshwater, but that was on someone elses topic. I would say nerites also. I don't have any so not much info from me.

Nerites! they come in many color forms! plus the benefits that the others have stated. 

There are tons of color forms to choose from!

I've forgotten the name of them but I know RCA has some cool orange ones, I'll see if I can find her post about them, they look really cool!

Found it, they are called "orange elephant snail".

You can read what RCA said about them and see some of her pictures HERE.

+1 Blondielovesfish that's what I'm going for in mine, lovely unusual looking :)

Shelster said:
+1 Blondielovesfish that's what I'm going for in mine, lovely unusual looking
smile.png

They are so cute. 
I wish I could get them in NZ, can't even get nerites >.<

Mystery snails are beautiful, in my opinion. I really love watching mine, but not sure if it meets all the criteria ;o

Blondielovesfish said:

smile.png

They are so cute. 

There are nerites in NZ I think? Native ones though. They range from china to AUS

the local pet shop here only has mystery and assassin snails which you all also recommended. I won't try to get a snail through the mail since the first fish I attempted to buy online just arrived today DOA (I feel guilty about the poor thing having been mailed because "I just have to have it") :(. There is a fish shop in a nearby town I just heard about, but if they don't have nerites I think I'll get one of the other two.

AlitaConejita said:
the local pet shop here only has mystery and assassin snails which you all also recommended. I won't try to get a snail through the mail since the first fish I attempted to buy online just arrived today DOA (I feel guilty about the poor thing having been mailed because "I just have to have it")
sad.png
. There is a fish shop in a nearby town I just heard about, but if they don't have nerites I think I'll get one of the other two.
Again, really sorry to hear about that happening, but please don't blame yourself! If you hadn't bought him, someone else would have.
I have gotten 3 snails through the mail and they have all been fine, if that's any consolation. They were mystery snails though. I absolutely adore mine. :wub:

DerpPH said:

smile.png

They are so cute. 

There are nerites in NZ I think? Native ones though. They range from china to AUS

Really? I've never heard of anyone being able to get them :/

Most reactions

Back