Snail crunchers

paulthegreat

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am looking to get some natural control on the mini ramshorn snails that infest my tank. I understand that loaches are good at this but I do not want anything that gets too big(4" tops). I also want it to be of a type that can be alone or in a pair. Any suggestions? -_-

Any of the botia species of loach will eat snails.........but most like to be kept in groups and grow bigger than your requested 4". However,botia striata stay quite small........but they are best kept in a group of at least 3. HTH.

I'd reccomend yoyo loaches, a attractive looking fish that gets the job done and stays resonably small. But with loaches the word isn't "control" in probably less than a week of having your loaches the word will be "eliminated" :blink:

Dwarfs said:
Skunk loaches get 4 inches long, and are botias. :)
skunk loaches are like one of my least favorite loaches. They are little pistols.

I had a yoyo loach that grew to 8"......not small......my present yoyo is approx 6". Skunk loaches(botia morleti) can be very aggressive although they do stay small.
I go back to the original suggestion......botia striata......common name being various(zebra,stripey........)
Good Luck.xx.

chali said:
I had a yoyo loach that grew to 8"......not small......my present yoyo is approx 6". Skunk loaches(botia morleti) can be very aggressive although they do stay small.
I go back to the original suggestion......botia striata......common name being various(zebra,stripey........)
Good Luck.xx.
a 8" yoyo loach, don't see that often. :clap:

I have to admit he was the weirdest one I ever saw.........he was really fat.....and just wobbled around on his belly!!! :rofl:

chali said:
I have to admit he was the weirdest one I ever saw.........he was really fat.....and just wobbled around on his belly!!! :rofl:
In other words, he had issues ;)

paulthegreat said:
Thanks for the suggestions I will see what I can find. Yoyo's look pretty cool so I guess that will be my first choice.
Excellent choice, looks at some sites that sell yoyo loaches, but your first choice would be to find some at your LFS because you can select the best looking, instead of going by luck of the draw.

Most reactions

Back