Small Snails Have Just Appeared Inside My Cycling Tropical Tank

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am currently cycling my tropical tank preparing it for my new tropical fish. I done a check of my Nitrate level (which was out) last night and it was sitting well.

I looked in my tank this afternoon and noticed a small snail crawling up the glass on the inside. There was another slightly smaller one in another area of the tank. Where have these came from? Are they dangerous new fish i'll be introducing to the tank?

Are they apple snails or of any relation? I had the intention to put an apple snail in the tank, but I didn't think a snail would just appear ?

I have a batch of live plants in the tank and I have been feeding the filter a pinch of goldfish food every day to help cycle the tank.

Thanks,
Picco
twitter.com/crmpicco

chances are theyl av came on the new plants!

i bought a plant, had snails on it and they are a pain to get rid of

iv got 7 assasin snails an they are munching there way through them slowly but surely!

...or get Clown and Yoyo Loaches. I have a few snails in my tank, and they do reproduce as I see eggs on glass and leaves from time to time. Most of the time the eggs get eaten by the loaches, but occassionally you'll see a few really small snails that have made it past egg stage. I never see them again though as the Loaches eat them - I proved this by taking out a few dozen small smails and keeping them in a seperate tank for a few weeks - then I put them back in the main tank and watch the Loaches eat them!

I've even found small snails in my filter box. I think once you have them, it's impossible to completely get rid of them. Just keep them under control by using natural predators. :good:

Just keep them under control by using natural predators. :good:

not everyone can house clown loaches as they grow too big, but zebra loaches are a good choice, but again, only if you have space and can keep a small group of them!

the best advice would be feed less so the snails dont reproduce as fast and of course, use vegetables to attract them to feed and remove veg with them on it. Also, crush them with your fingers, other fish will eat them.

I'd recommend assassin snails myself, got them when I had a snail problem, and have never had a pest snail since! And they don't grow to be massive....

Most reactions

Back