Slowly learning about saltwater from working at the store!

JackGulley

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
IMG_5091.jpeg

This guy—Red Sea Sailfin Tang—is my favorite, but it seems like tangs are one of the larger varieties of saltwater fish when they’re fully grown, so idk if I’d be keeping one even if I got a marine tank. It’s so weird to get used to not just different fish, but entirely different categories of fish. I can’t with the triggerfish, those things are lil wacko aliens from another planet and you will not convince me otherwise. And reef fishes’ behavior seems very different from fresh as well—they just work differently because they have different environmental pressures I guess.

Coral are crazy too; I wish I keep them in freshwater lol! There’s so much more variety of them than I thought before being around them a lot. I got to touch a big one when we did a house call to break down someone’s tank. I’d describe the texture as “meaty squishy” 🤔

Learning things means time investment... In this case you're able to do that by working at a relevant store. Good job...! 👍

Marine aquariums are beautiful , interesting and really fun to spend time watching but they’re just not for guys like me . Everything about them screams lots of money . Does that place have seahorses ? They’re really cool .

Are the teeth on them as sharp and menacing as what you see on TV shows ? I’d like to see one of those . How big an aquarium is it in ? Must be huge !
Nah, the ones in the store are like 8 inches. Idk how big they get eventually. I haven’t seen their teeth cause I don’t do the saltwater feeding

They’re “snowflake moray eels”; idk if that’s a “true” moray or just named after it, like “koi” bettas

Are the teeth on them as sharp and menacing as what you see on TV shows ? I’d like to see one of those . How big an aquarium is it in ? Must be huge !
Moray eels do have sharp fangs that face inwards and are designed to grab fish and hold them. If they grab your finger they slice it open and you bleed everywhere.

--------------------

They’re “snowflake moray eels”; idk if that’s a “true” moray or just named after it, like “koi” bettas
Snowflake morays are a true eel and grow to about 2 foot long. They are quite slim and snake like and do well in aquariums but do jump and you need a really good cover to stop them getting out, otherwise you will find them dry and crispy on the floor. They eat shrimp and fish and I fed mine with whole whitebait and raw prawn. It was well fed and never bothered any of the fish in the tank. They tame down quickly and don't deliberately try to bite you but sometimes they swallow the food and your fingers when being fed, so use long bits of food or a pair of tongs when feeding eels.

Moray eels are a whole group of eels—an entire taxonomic family—and there are over 200 species. The snowflake eel is one of them, so yes, it is a moray. I don't think there are any eels that would be "false" morays. I'm pretty sure the only eels that get that title are the ones that actually are in the moray family (Muraenidae). Of course, the species most people think of is the green moray, the big one you see in public aquariums. They've sort of become synonymous with "moray" in the public eye (since that's the only moray many people have heard of), but there are plenty others.

Most reactions

Back