Slowing the output on a penguin 350

The August FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pseud

Nyah Nyah Nyah!
Reaction score
I'm using a Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel on my planted tank, and I want to slow the output down to reduce surface agitation and stop my plants from being pushed around so much. I've already removed the biowheels, any other suggestions on how to slow the rate the water comes out, or reduce the force?

a piece of coarse foam plugged into the downpour of the filter....
this is what i did, not sure if applicable to your penguin

nanofilter2.jpg

That is an excellent idea Kenneth. I've been looking for a way to reduce surface agitation also, i have a penguin bio-wheel 330 but I do not want to take the bio wheels out.

actually ive just seen people doing it around the net... just copied it ! :p btw remember to use COARSE ! not fine foam !!! or else when algae builds up on the foam the water will get a bit stuck :D

Hmmm, neat idea. I was considering doing the same kind of thing but on the input. Either way, I don't want to risk screwing the filter up and end up either having it run dry, or filly up and over-flow!

I may hack a carbon cartridge apart and use the foamy kinda covering to do it. Sound like a reasonable idea?

Thats exactlly why I did away with the hang off the back type of Filters.
The problem of the Overflow all over the Place.

Thats why i have went to the Magnum 350 Canister, Minus the 2 Bio Wheels.

You might Say I want to cut down on the turbulance of it, and this would be Worse.
But heres what I did.

I took off their Exchaust Output, and replaced it on the end of the Exchaust Tube with an Old Intake Strainer of the Hang on the back filter I use to have.

Didn't effect the Filteration one Bit, Same Intake and Exchaust Rate, BUT 98% less turbulence. throughout the tank.

Now instead of all the flow going in one direction, It's now dispereced in all directions, Including downward. :lol:

I don't know if this is suitable for you or not, but it Worked for me, And ya never can tell it might just Help Someone Else. :S

Most reactions

Back