Slight gaps between tank and stand

RedSarah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was about to fill my 16g aquarium and went to check that everything is level. Side to side is fine, front to back is slightly off but the bubble is within the two lines on the level. The floor is not perfectly level and the stand is on carpet which is probably causing the issue. Since the tank is small I’m not too concerned about that. I am a bit worried about these small gaps between the leveling mat and stand. Do you all think these areas be supported once the tank is full and the mat compresses more?

CCF39D83-2CF4-46D7-9616-CBB17C231B39.jpeg
7392BCB3-D1C3-495E-A80F-FBDEDF7BFE7F.jpeg

With the gaps being that small, I don’t think it will cause any damage.

The table/stand that it’s on isn’t perfectly flat like the sheet of glass is, so it is perfectly acceptable to see a little gap.

Once the tank is full of water, it will weigh down on the mat, causing it to become level. :)

Can't see a problem with that. Once the tank is filled, the weight of it will press down on the cabinet more in the middle and straighten it up. The cabinet sides are better supported so they won't sink down, only the middle.

If there is a gap between the glass and stand it is going to be a problem. Get some polystyrene foam that is 1/2 to 1 inch thick and put that under the tank. The foam will compress and take the pressure off the base so it hopefully doesn't crack.

You need some high-density polystyrene under this tank. I think this will be a problem if you don't support the base properly.

If there is a gap between the glass and stand it is going to be a problem. Get some polystyrene foam that is 1/2 to 1 inch thick and put that under the tank. The foam will compress and take the pressure off the base so it hopefully doesn't crack.
OP already said there was a mat under the tank.

You need some high-density polystyrene under this tank. I think this will be a problem if you don't support the base properly.
Thanks all. I was worried I’d get this answer. I emailed the tank manufacturer and the company that made the stand so I’ll see what they recommend. The thin piece of black foam is adhered to the tank by the manufacturer—maybe I do just need something thicker. The stand was not cheap and is made for rimless tanks, but it appears that the surface is not completely planar.

This is a rimless tank, with a manufacturer installed foam mat on the bottom?

This is a rimless tank, with a manufacturer installed foam mat on the bottom?
Yes! It’s a waterbox clear mini. I got it gently used and thought the previous owner may have added it, but their website says that they install the foam mats on the tanks.

Last edited:
I would put additional foam board under the tank before filling...it's inexpensive, they sell it at places like Lowe's for insulation under home siding.

I would put additional foam board under the tank before filling...it's inexpensive, they sell it at places like Lowe's for insulation under home siding.
Ok! I definitely don’t want to cut corners so I’ll get some more foam and see if it helps

Ok! I definitely don’t want to cut corners so I’ll get some more foam and see if it helps
Good call...when you cut the foam, the borders will be white (the color of the foam)...I used black electrical tape on the cut borders, to blend in with my tank trim

Just wanted to update y’all—Waterbox said the gaps in the photos are no problem and that the mat will compress to compensate. I feel like my next questions should be “will you come clean up the mess and replace my tank if the bottom pane cracks?” Lol. Probably will still pick up some extra foam.

Just wanted to update y’all—Waterbox said the gaps in the photos are no problem and that the mat will compress to compensate. I feel like my next questions should be “will you come clean up the mess and replace my tank if the bottom pane cracks?” Lol. Probably will still pick up some extra foam.
I would take that advice with a block of salt.....get some foam board

Most reactions

Back