Slate: a good base for wooden hardscape?

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm about to start another build in a new tank. My last effort, although I'm pleased overall with it, made me aware of the problem of securing the wooden embellishments. As careful as I could have been in firstly putting heavy stone anchors on them to prevent them floating, then really pushing them into the substrate, I find there's still movement when I inadvertently knock them whilst doing in-tank cleaning etc.
Now, after a night of dreaming answers, yes - literally, I think I may have the answer. A rectangle of slate to firmly attach all the wood to so that they are all on the same base and therefore unable to be moved relative to other bits of wood on that base. Naturally the slate would be covered with substrate.
PROBLEM
Slate of the dimensions I need isn't readily found. Roofing slate should be fine but a Google for it sends out shock waves to my wallet as it tends to be sold in packs.
ANSWER?
I wonder if I paid a trip to a tile centre and got a large single tile instead. Would that be acceptable for use in a fishtank? A large tile should be OK for size and weight. In fact I think I may have a spare tile from my recent kitchen floor makeover, somewhere in my garage. I nearly forgot that.

Go to a tiling shop...flooring tile/wall tile....much cheaper and they will cut to size if asked...and you can get sample tiles so no need to buy a pack of them

Thanks for that but yeah........ I do have some in my garage. That's my 1st job today. Dig them out and cut one to fit. Next job is to buy some superglue gel.
Sleep does tend to throw up answers to many problems and I'm a real bugger for dreaming about things that are on my mind when I go to bed.
The problem is that I tend to get up much earlier in the morning

How long were they in the tank for I have found after 5 months all my driftwood has stopped floating. It is a good idea not to have it attached so then you can move it if you want to.

The wood I'm trying to place right now is new, as is the whole tank setup so there's no soaking of the wood at all. However, I really have no need to move the wood anyway. The placement of it is ideally suited for the tank, and in any case, there's only a couple of cm's spare room front to back and side to side.
I found the tile in my garage but it was too large. I went to the local tilers warehouse but they don't have an in-store cutting machine so I just went with a suitably sized sample tile instead for £2.
The wood is now glued in place and I'm putting things together in my head as to how to build the rest to gain the best effect.

Most reactions

Back