Simple tank help

KuhliLoachGamer

Reaction score
I want to try and set up a tank using $50 at most. That sounds crazy but I want to find things like free tanks and plant trimmings off Facebook marketplace. I found a 10 gallon. I don't want a filter and only a heater. I need lots of plants. What fish do you think I could get to balance the ecosystem? (NO LIVEBEARERS!)

What is the substrate? You mention "Walstad" which suggests soil--is it? Or something else?

As for suitable fish, what are the water parameters--these refer to GH, KH, pH and temperature. The GH and pH are important here. Small fish suited to this tank will be more demanding of suitable parameters.

Depending if the water parameters will allow, chili rasboras/ember Tetras with Neocaridina shrimp are good options. Light bioload and very good for a 10 gallon.

I was thinking of top soil where I sieve all the chunks out. Then a covering of white sand. I don't know the water parameters yet as I'm still in the planning stage. This is only my second tank. I want to be as careful as possible.

Depending if the water parameters will allow, chili rasboras/ember Tetras with Neocaridina shrimp are good options. Light bioload and very good for a 10 gallon.
I thought of cherry shrimp and Chili Rasboras too. Would the tank be big enough for a group of Pygmy Corydoras?

I was thinking of top soil where I sieve all the chunks out. Then a covering of white sand. I don't know the water parameters yet as I'm still in the planning stage. This is only my second tank. I want to be as careful as possible.

Then forget any type of soil. This is creating a much more difficult to manage biological system,and restricting your fish. You cannot have cories unless the substrate is inert soft sand, nothing else. The soil creates bacterial issues which will harm these fish more than upper fish. Soil has serious risks, and until you are much more comfortable in the hobby I would not consider it. It really does not help plants anyway, this is misguided thinking as studies have shown. After one year it is completely useless and has to be replaced; my sand substrates stayed in the tanks for years with no issues, fish or plants.

Believe me, if you really want a "simple" tank as you initially said, do not consider soil.

I know my Ph is always high for my tap water(Not using that) I don't know anything else yet

Are you using tap water? Or something else? Whichever, you must know the GH (general or total hardness) first, and the pH, and it helps to know the KH (carbonate hardness or alkalinity) too as this affects pH.

Then forget any type of soil. This is creating a much more difficult to manage biological system,and restricting your fish. You cannot have cories unless the substrate is inert soft sand, nothing else. The soil creates bacterial issues which will harm these fish more than upper fish. Soil has serious risks, and until you are much more comfortable in the hobby I would not consider it. It really does not help plants anyway, this is misguided thinking as studies have shown. After one year it is completely useless and has to be replaced; my sand substrates stayed in the tanks for years with no issues, fish or plants.

Believe me, if you really want a "simple" tank as you initially said, do not consider soil.

Are you using tap water? Or something else? Whichever, you must know the GH (general or total hardness) first, and the pH, and it helps to know the KH (carbonate hardness or alkalinity) too as this affects pH.
What part of a covering of white sand did you not understand? I condition my tap water. I haven't tested it before conditioning. I never thought to test it before. I will do that.

What part of a covering of white sand did you not understand? I condition my tap water. I haven't tested it before conditioning. I never thought to test it before. I will do that.

The sand covering is irrelevant, it is the soil underneath that causes serious bacterial issues. In post #5 you mention top soil with a covering of sand, so soil is soil with all its problems. White sand is not good by the way, it will stress fish depending upon the brightness of the tank light.

"Conditioning" means using a conditioner? Or something else? You need to know the parameters (GH, pH, KH) of the source water on its own, as these will determine which fish you can have. This is a small tank, a 10g, so that means very small fish which are naturally more susceptible to parameters and much else.

I know my Ph is always high for my tap water(Not using that) I don't know anything else yet
The key parameter is going to be your water hardness. If you don't know what that is, you can find it online on your water company website or looking it up by your zip code.

The sand covering is irrelevant, it is the soil underneath that causes serious bacterial issues. In post #5 you mention top soil with a covering of sand, so soil is soil with all its problems. White sand is not good by the way, it will stress fish depending upon the brightness of the tank light.

"Conditioning" means using a conditioner? Or something else? You need to know the parameters (GH, pH, KH) of the source water on its own, as these will determine which fish you can have. This is a small tank, a 10g, so that means very small fish which are naturally more susceptible to parameters and much else.
Ok thank you. What sand do you use? By conditioner I mean the basic API tap water stuff. I can test my tap water myself I've just never bothered to.

Can you explain why top soil wouldn't be a good idea for this? Everything I've seen online makes it look great.
This dude makes it look magical for plants.

Can you explain why top soil wouldn't be a good idea for this? Everything I've seen online makes it look great.
This dude makes it look magical for plants.

You have no idea if this works or not just because he says it does. Who is he? What is his biilogical knowledge? The fish might all be dead now for all anyone knows.

Soil creates ammonia for up to six months. Fish can be killed. Most soil aquarist sources recommend a dry start, for six months. The soil has no benefit after a year, and the only--I repeat, only--benefit to soil is the initial influx of CO2. But the plants do not need this anyway. I have set up dozens of tanks in my 30 years, never lost a fish.

There is so much inaccurate and misleading "information" in this hobby, thanks to the internet, that it is mind boggling. You cannot believe a word of it.

Most reactions

Back