Silver Tips, Danio And A Lot Of 'tank Drama'

HTP94931

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site, but was just reading a thread on some problems people have had with Silver Tips, and I figured a little bit of a rant was in order from moi. :)

Ever since we bought these fish (about 4 months ago), we have had a lot of drama in our tank, and to be honest guys, I'm really really tired of it and want it to stop. We have 4 females and a very mischievous, territorial male, a terror of a Zebra Danio (these two types have got to be some of the worst "community fish" I have ever come across, and of course they usually fail to tell people they're considered to be the most aggressive Tetra variety--you unfortunately find out this fun fact AFTER you've purchased and placed them in your tank). It started with the chasing and some fin nipping, which surprised (and concerned) us at the time, and then eventually, these Tetra would grow to adapt to and mimic the bottom feeders (small Pandas, and a Sterbai cory), and so would actually start eating the sinking pellets for the corys off the gravel--the novelty soon wore off, trust me. This eventually grew to become a kind of logistical nightmare when trying to make sure the corys had enough food to eat, and so it goes.

The Danio we have has a lot of personality, but is also a MAJOR pest, and again, I've gotten pretty tired of the aggressive antics. And of course they failed to mention the drawbacks of Danios at the LFS where we got them, too. It's amazing how there's so much variation within the "community freshwater" category....i.e., "Community" fish that are more aggressive like the ST's and the Danios and Barbs, contrasted with say the docile personalities of Neons--it seems that one has to go more by the anecdotal evidence and less by what they tell you (or don't tell you) in the fish stores. I just want a TRUE community tank where I can enjoy the tank without all the stress that comes from having these particular varieties.

What to do now? I e-mailed the LFS we got them from, and told them about the situation and asked if we could return the fish (they're the picture of health, they're just annoying beyond belief), but oddly enough, when the person wrote back to me, they evaded my question about taking them back. This seemed a little odd to me, but I've noticed this isn't quite the store it used to be back 20 years ago when I was a kid and put together an excellent and PEACEFUL community tank. Yes, that's all I want. If I get to the point where I can't take it anymore, I'll just take them down there and then they'll have to take them back (I hope!).

Anyone else out there stuck with similar tank issues? :)

Not got the issue now but had the same fish with the same issues many years ago.

The only thing that I used to enjoy seeing was the Red Tailed Black shark wanted to be the terror of the tank and the STT were stealing its thunder. Payback time, the males were targeted. My shark would act like the bouncer in my tank. In reality it didn't help because as soon as the shark grew tired the males were immediately back to their nasty bullying of everything else in the tank. What made it worse was I had two males which divided the tank in two halves, everything was chased from one side to the other and back. Don't get a shark by the way, beautiful fish and all but they target certain fish and get worse with age.

If I remember correctly I just took them back to the LFS and explained the situation, of course he tried blaming the tank, the inhabitants, whatever and tried to convince me they were peaceful. Behind him was a batch of STT beginning to display these same behavioural traits. He was a little red faced.

Nowadays I truly do have a peaceful tank. No nastiness whatsoever. Once a pecking order has been established it's all very gentle flaring and the only madness is at spawning. If any new inhabitant gets a bit boisterous with the shrimp the Amano Shrimp, yes the Amano Shrimp, (Unbelievable even to see and is extremely peaceful otherwise) puts them in their place.

I have Cories, Galaxy Rasboras (Celestial Pearl Danios), Hikari Danios, Crystal Red Shrimp, various snails and I believe the Glowlight Danios are very peaceful too so will be looking to add a shoal of these in the future.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. If it's any help, the Zebra Danios will calm down, mellow, as they age.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum.

>>> more aggressive like the ST's and the Danios and Barbs

The barbs are a very large group and the vast majority of the species are perfect community fish with no aggression at all.

I'm wondering if the danio's aggression to other fish is stemming from the fact it's on its own? Danios love to swim and chase, maybe your danio is chasing the other fish because it has none of its own species to "play" with? I have 4 zebra danios that I adore, and they will often school with my 6 WCM minnows. They love chasing each other, but I have not once seen them bother any of my other fish (male dawrf gourami, 3 otos and the minnows). An option might be to get some more danios... though that might not sound appealing, given how stressed out you sound! I don't have any experience with silver tips so don't know how to deal with the aggression there, but I think the problems with your danio could be sorted by adding a few more to your tank.

Silvertips also need to be in a decent sized shoal. They're nowhere near the most aggressive of tetras; serpaes and black widows are both far worse.

Silvertips also need to be in a decent sized shoal. They're nowhere near the most aggressive of tetras; serpaes and black widows are both far worse.

Yikes.... Yeah, I'll definitely avoid those other types of Tetras as well.

To answer Citrus' question, we had a few other Danios and they died pretty early on, but the remaining Danio was pretty well "integrated" into the rest of the ST group, and they treat him as their own, so he swims around with them, they chase him, he chases them, so no problems on that end I don't think. And yes, ideally, we would like to upgrade to a 25-30 gallon tank at some point in the future, but we don't have the space currently in our apartment. My understanding is that yes, the larger the shoal, the less aggressiveness you will see, but again, unfortunately, we don't have the room. They also just stole the Spotted Cory's food again this morning TWICE, so I'm getting closer to taking them back to the LFS from whence they came. Oh well, live and learn, and do lots of research. We just added a nice little shoal of 7 small Neons to our Hex5 tank, and they are really nice (and peaceful!) little fish... and most importantly, no stress! :)

danios need a lot of room to swim, just because they are small fish doesn't mean they can go in small tanks.

How many silvertips do you have? I've also kept them in shoals from 14 - 22 fish and the bigger the shoal, the better they are. They are very active and can be nippy, but imo nippy is their way of telling you that they're not in a big enough group. If they are in a big group their activity remains within the group instead of spilling over to other fish.

With regards to the food thing, you're going to have that problem regardless of which fish you have and what you feed them. Fish are scavengers. They're adapted to make the most of any food they find because they don't know when they'll next find some. Any food is fair game to a fish, regardless of whether it's live, on the surface, on the substrate, or was a member of their shoal yesterday. They dont have the mental capacity to think "oh this food is for the corydoras, but just to annoy the human shall we eat it instead" they just think "food = eat". You can try using a plastic tube to put tablets down at the back of the tank after lights out for the corydoras, but being angry/frustrated with the silvertips for doing what they're evolved to do is misplaced imo.

You can you can't fit a bigger shoal in, can you tell us the tank size and your stocking and we might be able to help you figure something out :)

Amazing. Set my tank up a few months ago. Silver-tips have been in there a couple of weeks and tonight they've gone mental.

Came on the forum to post a topic to this effect and couldn't believe this was the first thing I see.

My intention had been to have a tank at home that was the epitome of peaceful and community. The tank in my classroom is where all the aggro is.

Thought silver-tips were peaceful. It's evening and, yes, the two males are careering all over the tank knocking women and children out of the way. Females are running for cover and hiding wherever they can.

Mind you, they're looking awfully pretty while they go about their bullying.

It's all come as something of a surprise. To me and the cherry barbs.

Most reactions

Back