silver molly

navigator

Reaction score
Hi folks I have a silver molly in my tank that I am sure is pretty messed up. I have noticed that it seems now to be totally out of balance with things, it cannot swim in a straight line and when it is moving thru the water its like watching a snake move with its whole body spiralling to get it to move, there is no fluency. when it is feeding on the bottom it is in an upright position but keeps falling over itself and cannot straighten up. does anyone know or has seen this before.

Sounds like swim bladder disease. I'm sorry to say i've never been able to save a fish with this condition :/ . You could try some anti internal bacteria meds, hope you have better luck than i have. :thumbs:

Yeah it does sound alot like a swim bladder disorder; move the fish to a breeding net, the lack of space will help the fish maintain balance(it is easier for the fish to maintain balance in shallow water) and eat.
The main cause of death from swim bladder disorders is actually starvation as the fish will find it harder and harder to aim for food in the tank so try and feed the fish some freezedried foods like bloodworms and tubifex/daphinia which float in the tank for a long time and continue to feed the molly fish flakes.

Swim bladder disorders are usually caused by internal bacterial infections and there are meds available that can treat this by Interpet but swim bladder disorders can also be caused by bad water quality conditions; i would treat the fish as before mentioned with the internal bacteria med and try and keep water conditions as good as posible, good luck :thumbs:

I'd have to agree with the other members. I am sorry to hear that. I have had this problem with a sailfin molly before. I treated her with an dypholtical medication that I purchased from my local fish store. She did good, and just as I thought that she was gonna make it, she up and died... :( I wish you better luck on this molly. :)
~Taylor~

Thanks for the advice folks I am not holding out much hope for the little blighter but hopefully i can make what time it has left comfy who knows it may recover.

Good luck :) You never know, he may survive :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back